Sunday, May 21, 2023

Migration Peak and Some Shorebirds

 This time of year I like as we get the greatest variety of birds resident or migrant, as well as large numbers of shorebirds.

Friday, I opted to go for a walk at Hillman Marsh.  The shorebird cell had lots of Dunlin, but little else in the morning.  Mind you, I find later in the day better for shorebirds.

The Trumpeter Swans are once again nesting in the marsh, and their bugle-like call can be heard from afar.  They were too far for photos though!

Some Great Egrets were around, and this one just caught a meal.



After Hillman, I stopped by Wheatley Harbour (C-K side) and watched shorebirds.  There was an impressive number of Ruddy Turnstones on the beach.  I estimated over 300!



Indeed, it was the most I have ever seen in one location.


They thinned out a bit after some beachcombers came along, oblivious to the birds (as usual).

A good number of Semipalmated Plovers were present as well.



My goal was to see Whimbrel.  After about an hour, I was getting in my car to give up, when I heard the unique call of Whimbrel.  Sure enough, five were coming in!


On certain days, we can see hundreds, but five was good enough to head out.

We should be seeing Red Knots this week, not that we see any numbers anymore.

Before going home, I stopped by the Mitchell's Bay south shore trail as I often do.  This place always has good potential for something, but once again nothing of note caught my eye.  I keep trying though!


One can always find lots of turtles along the ditch.  I saw three species this day, and many were Map.  I found this interesting sight of a small painted turtle on top of a large Map turtle!



On Saturday, the morning was cool and gray but I went up to Port Franks to walk part of the Heritage forest for a change in scenery.  It was a good choice, as there were dozens of warblers feeding in the trees.  However, lighting was horrible, and I could not ID many of them in the treetops!

American Redstart was in big numbers, as well as some others.  A couple of Cerulean were in the mix, as well as Hooded.  It was too dark for photos, and unfortunately it did not work out well with this Hooded Warbler that posed nicely even though I had the ISO cranked up.


After more than two hours on that walk, I headed over to Kettle Point.  A couple of American White Pelicans had been hanging around of late, and they were present out on a reef.  They were too far out and gave unsatisfactory views.  Maybe I will see some more soon!

Today, I had no idea what to do, but started at the south shore trail at Mitchell's Bay.  A few things were around, but nothing in the rare department.  Perhaps the same Green Heron was in the ditch!


I wandered aimlessly after that and ended up down at Erieau marsh trail.  There were a few things to keep one interested, but nothing new for me except an Alder Flycatcher.

A stop at Blenheim lagoons revealed a couple of tardy Short-billed Dowitchers among others.


Still lots of good birding days left.....  



No comments:

Post a Comment