Tuesday, February 7, 2023

An Uncommon Duck Visits Erieau

 Monday, I ventured down Pelee way first thing.  I started with scoping some ducks off the end of Shuster trail in the National Park.  Lots of Common Goldeneye spend the winter in that area.  Just for fun, I was hoping to spot a Barrow's Goldeneye (did not happen!).  A couple of days earlier, one had been spotted at Erieau by Keith Burk.  It could not be found on Sunday, despite my efforts, along with other birders.

Disappointed, I thought I would go to Pelee on Monday instead of trying again at Erieau.  Perhaps someone else could find the Barrow's for me at Erieau!  While at Pelee, I got word that the Barrow's Goldeneye had indeed been found again at Erieau.

I was not seeing much at Pelee anyway, so cut my visit short.  Touring through the "onion fields" area, I came across a young Northern Shrike.  



There was also a wintering Red-shouldered Hawk nearby, but too far for a photo.

I was hoping to come across the blackbird flock frequenting the area. Within it was a Yellow-headed Blackbird. It had been seen every day, but just my usual luck, the flock was nowhere to be seen!  I did see a few blackbirds here and there, but no big flock.

It was then on to Erieau in hopes that the goldeneye was still visible.  I arrived at the channel area, and there it was!  A classic male.









It was a new "Rondeau" bird for most of us.  I do not know when the last one was seen in the area, but it is on the Rondeau list.  There is not much to go on looking at eBird records.  There was one listed at the Blenheim lagoons, but it looks more like a Common Goldeneye to me based on the photos.

A little trivia:  Barrow's Goldeneye was named after Sir John Barrow (1764-1848), an English geographer, linguist, writer and civil servant. (Wikipedia)

We have likely missed some over the years, as they can hide well in a raft of Common Goldeneye.  The ones on the St. Clair River were like this.  Although the duck was present, try and keep track of it!

We had one at Corunna exactly a year ago.


It was likely a returning bird that we may have missed in some years.  Just late yesterday, one was found at Stag Island.  I would suspect it is the same bird as last year!  It will likely be around for a while, so I will attempt to see it at some point.

It is interesting how some birds return to the same spot each year after travelling their long distances.  There is a Barrow's Goldeneye at Owen Sound Harbour that returns each year, indeed it was there again this winter.  I went to see it in 2020, just for a two-day get-away.  A bit distant though.


Feeders are busy here at home, when not terrorized by one of these......


Bald Eagles are occupying nests now.  The local birds are busy tending to the nest.



Spring is around the corner even though we really never had a winter here.  Yesterday, I saw two Killdeer at Erieau marsh trail.  They are most likely winter holdovers.




No comments:

Post a Comment