Sunday, January 29, 2023

An End of January Update

 Been sticking close to home lately, but with lots of time on my hands.  I am not working now, but will only go in for work if the shop needs an extra hand.  It is the slow time of year, so there is not much to see, especially on this "slow" winter for birds.

This past week, a couple of Greater White-fronted Geese showed up at Ridgetown lagoons, so I went there on a rare, clear and sunny day.  This species is not a "problem" anymore for listing, but there was not much else to do this day.  One had to take advantage of this clear sunny day!


When I first started birding, Greater White-fronted Goose was a very rare bird and indeed a write-up for the OBRC.  I recall going to see my first ones near Grande Pointe in the old Dover Township 2 January 1993.  They had been reported on the St. Clair NWA CBC a couple of days previous.

After visiting Ridgetown, I drove through the countryside and ended up taking a walk at Clear Creek Nature Reserve.  There are never many birds here, but it is a beautiful place to walk on a sunny winter day.  Clear Creek meanders through the woods creating a scenic view.  "Old growth" trees enhance the scenery.


I have made a couple of trips to Rondeau Park, just to do some walking.  Birds are sparse, but you never know what may show when one is out and about.

An Eastern Screech-owl in its cumfy hole, is almost always a guarantee along Bennett.  It has used this hole for years!


I started out in freezing rain this morning.  I looked around Wilkesport.  Three Eastern Bluebirds are still being seen, and the Long-eared Owl was still content in its favourite tree.

The St. Clair River is very disappointing this year, and as mentioned previously, probably the quietest I have ever seen it for ducks and gulls.

The male Ring-necked X Redhead duck seems to be hanging around Sombra consistently.  I saw it again today in some less-desirable weather.  At least there is something of interest.



I had hoped to spend more time out there this morning, but the weather got nasty.  I went out the door with freezing rain falling, but it later turned to snow.  Roads got worse the farther north I went, so I turned back at Bickford Line and highway 40. A lone Common Grackle was at this corner.  I did not stop to take a photo though.  It comes up rare on eBird in Lambton, but that should be changed since there are always some to be found in winter at some point.

The last few days, Horned Larks and Snow Buntings have made a big appearance in southern Ontario.  Hundreds everywhere!  Some Lapland Longspur are mixed in as well, and you never know, a Smith's Longspur could be out there!






The Chenal Ecarte along Walpole Island north has held some waterfowl.  Yesterday I noticed three American Coots among them, which seemed to just have appeared from somewhere.  I tried some "distant" photos, but I am not at all proud of them.



The usual birds are coming to the feeder.  More than the last couple of winters, but nothing new.  


The other day, I noticed a female Cardinal with a bad leg.  Seems to be useless, but the leg is not well seen in this photo.  Taken at distance through a window.


Today I managed a better photo and noticed its right eye is no good. Obviously it had some kind of mishap.





With mild spells, more waterfowl is around and we have to keep looking out for oddities.  A Ross's Goose was at Sarnia yesterday.  Perhaps I would have gone that far today, but the weather turned me back.

Soon, things will pick up I am sure!


No comments:

Post a Comment