Monday, October 3, 2022

Weekend Wanderings: 30 September-2 October

 It was an uneventful weekend, as I made my usual rounds.  Rondeau was fairly quiet on Friday and Saturday, and the lakewatches did not produce much.

We did see a jaeger on Saturday way out from dog beach, but indeed impossible to ID.  Any jaeger is good at Rondeau!

Keith McLean C. L. has been interesting lately.  The Nelson's Sparrows are back!  I made a quick stop on Friday and saw three.  Indeed, there is a lot of potential for something good to show up there.

Common checkered-skipper at McLean's

I then went on to Blenheim lagoons, where some more shorebirds had come in.  Unfortunately, nothing new.

Next stop was the Erieau marsh trail.  Lots of geese!  I did not carry a scope, but was quite certain I saw the Brant again.  Steve soon got on it from Bayview Avenue to confirm my suspicion.  It was probably there all week, but was difficult to see.



Also present, was a Greater White-fronted Goose.

A couple of Fiery Skippers caught my eye along the way.


Saturday it was back to Rondeau and Keith McLean C. L.  The lakewatch was better than the previous day.  The aforementioned jaeger was the only highlight.

I got better looks at Nelson's Sparrows at Keith McLean C. L., but not with the camera!



Common Checkered-skippers are plentiful right now, was well as Fiery Skippers.

Another one in the backyard!

In the afternoon, I went by Thamesville on my way to Sydenham River Nature Reserve (SRNR).  A quick stop at the Tecumseh monument area revealed some American Rubyspots.



This past weekend there was a tree planting event at SRNR by Ontario Nature.  One could pick a time slot on either Saturday or Sunday.


A group of us planted 250 trees in the afternoon, some of which were White Elm, Kentucky Coffee Tree, Tulip Tree, Silver Maple, etc.



The weather was very pleasant for the afternoon, so it was enjoyable.


Sunday a change in scenery was needed, so I went up to north Lambton.  First stop was Forest lagoons to look for sparrows.  I had no luck in finding a Nelson's, which was my target!  Numerous Swamp Sparrows kept me busy, before I gave up.

I then went on to Ipperwash.  It was somewhat quiet, but at least a nice day.  We soon should see some Evening Grosbeaks, I suspect!

I had to do some shopping in Sarnia, so afterwards stopped by Dow Wetlands for a walk.  Nothing of note!

Black-throated Blue Warbler


No comments:

Post a Comment