Wednesday, October 12, 2022

Solitaire Stories

It was up to north Lambton on the holiday Monday.  Things seemed slow down Lake Erie way, so a change in scenery was in order.

I stopped by Forest lagoons at first light and spent about two hours there.  I was looking for sparrows!  We have had LeConte's there in the past and Nelson's has also been seen.  However, I had not yet seen a Nelson's in Lambton, believe it or not.  I tried, but no Nelson's Sparrow popped up!

A little bit of mud on the far side of the deep water cell revealed some shorebirds.



This Northern Harrier was hanging around, and posed for a photo for a moment, showing its owl-like face.



I really had no intentions of finding anything else since things were slow, but headed up to Ipperwash anyways.

It was a stellar morning with clear skies and no wind.  I walked around the "MNR" parking lot area for a while and bumped in to Matt Parsons.  We parted ways, but met again at the parking lot, about to leave.

I mentioned that a Blue-headed Vireo was singing, but did not pay much attention to it.  I should have, because on second thought, it was a Townsend's Solitaire singing a partial song!

Just as I was to get in the car, Matt called out that there was a curious bird sitting on a snag in the distance.  Not sure, he wondered what it could be.  I mentioned that it looked like a Townsend's Solitaire, with size, shape and colour and posture.

Upon closer look, we concluded that it was a solitaire!  Unfortunately before we could get  closer and get photos, it flew.

It disappeared for quite some time, and local birder , James Holdsworth arrived.  A bit later, it flew out and perched on a snag!



This species seems quite regular in the area with ample Red Cedar to satisfy its appetite.  There was one last year on Army Camp Road, and the previous year, possibly two at Ipperwash.

2021




2020


Pinery has had a few records (at least three), but I think there are a couple of undocumented records as I recall.  I even found one (along with Lance Allin), 9 November 2003 in Pinery.

The Townsend's Solitaire is a regular vagrant to Ontario, with multiple records every year. 

I have seen several over the years, including two at Point Pelee, one at Rondeau, and one that Pete Chapman found on Fossil Road at Hungry Hollow just into Middlesex County.

Point Pelee bird

Hungry Hollow bird

Rondeau bird


The solitaire is always a fun bird to see at any time!

A Varied Thrush is next on the list.....maybe this weekend?


No comments:

Post a Comment