Sunday, August 28, 2022

Another One: Marine Blue in a New Location!

 I will begin with today's observations, since I found the highlight of the week!

I started the day at Blenheim Lagoons.  We have had lots of shorebirds there, and late Friday, a Red Knot was found.  I did not get the word till late Saturday, due to a glitch with Discord messages, even though I drove right by the place late in the afternoon!

It took a while, but I did find the Red Knot.  I was (k)not going to leave without seeing it!  The creature was quite approachable.  Always good to see at least one of these each year.



I did not see a Buff-breasted Sandpiper which was found this afternoon, so perhaps it was hidden or just flew in.

I moved on to Erieau Marsh trail, where it was very quiet unlike previous days. There was a large roost of Purple Martins, well over 300 birds.  I did photograph a young Black-billed Cuckoo.


After that, I thought it would be interesting to go to the old quarry at Clear Creek to see what was around this time of year with regards to insects.  Several Common Buckeye were present.


Eventually I saw a very small bluish lep which I thought was just another E. T. Blue.  Nope!  It was a Marine Blue!


It was very flighty, so I did not get satisfactory photos.  Needless to say, this is a first record for Chatham-Kent!

I messaged Jim Burk who was at Point Pelee today, about the find.  It was not a half hour later, he got back to me saying he had just found one at Pelee!  There is no doubt they bred here and there, and some are just emerging.

I did check McKeough afterwards, but no luck there, at least yet.

Yesterday, I went to Point Pelee and Hillman Marsh.  I had to be down along the lake in the afternoon anyway for a family function at Cedar Springs (my uncle Bob turned 91 this year!).

Nothing spectacular at Pelee or Hillman, but Common Checkered-skippers are getting numerous.


I did find a Fiery Skipper at Hillman.


I did a Tip watch, but nothing of note showed.  Some Sanderlings, and a Semi-palmated Sandpiper were trotting around the Tip, and even came close.



Several warblers were flitting around at the Tip.

Cape May Warbler

Friday, it was down to Rondeau to check out fall migration.  Many warblers were on south point.  Then it was on to Erieau where a good number of birds were present.

Steve and I then went on to the lagoons.  Lots of shorebirds, including a good number of Short-billed Dowitchers.



I did mention Red Knot at one point when we saw a pale gray bird in flight.  Not sure if it was one or not, but we never identified it.

Locally, I have been checking out Peers Wetland and keeping an eye out in the yard.  Nighthawks have been migration SW in the evenings, checkered-skippers, and lots of Peck's Skippers have been showing up.




Lance-tipped Darner

R. T. Hummingbird (highly cropped)

Royal at Wilkesport




No comments:

Post a Comment