Sunday, April 17, 2022

Recent Chilly Birding

 Been slim pickings lately as the "winter" weather continues!  Just like clockwork, the bottom fell out of the thermometer for the weekend, but least we had quite a bit of sun.

Some decent birds have been showing up in the province, but not near me!

It was Rondeau and area on Friday, Point Pelee on Saturday and Rondeau again on Sunday.

Warblers were virtually absent on Friday at Rondeau, but numerous any place else it seemed.  Before going home, I swung around to Mitchell's Bay to walk the trail and a few Yellow-rumped were there.





Saturday was cold but the sun was out at Point Pelee.  Most bird activity was on the east side in the Tip area.  The gale force winds of the previous day probably had the birds retreat to the east side.  Quite a few Yellow-rumped were flitting around, a few Pine Warblers.


An Eastern Bluebird was also soaking up some sun.



I missed a Black-throated Green that had earlier been seen near Sparrow Field.

The novelty for me in the park was a Pileated Woodpecker.  I just happened to be in the right place at the right time (Dunes).  I had just pulled in to eat my lunch, and it flew over!  It was the second one I have seen in the park, the other was in late April 2019.

Pileated Woodpeckers are very rare in the park, and in Essex County in general, so it is always a decent sighting.

I stopped by Hillman shorebird cell as well.  Numerous Dunlin (well over 100) were in, plus some yellowlegs and Pectoral Sandpipers.  Some early Black-bellied Plover were there as well.

At one point, I saw three teal fly in.  One was a Eurasian Green-winged!



This Old World version of our Green-winged Teal is seen in Ontario every year.  I think it is only the second record for Hillman.  I did see the previous one which had been found by Jeremy Bensette in April 2018.

I stopped by Mitchell's Bay once again before going home, but there seemed to be more turtles than birds this time around.



Today was bitterly cold at Rondeau, but the sun was out for the first part of the morning.  I did a long walk.  More Yellow-rumped were in, as well as Hermit Thrushes and kinglets, but nothing of note for me.



I managed to catch sight of the mockingbird which has been frequenting the maintenance yard.



I did not do much else after leaving Rondeau, since I needed to go home and thaw out!

This afternoon I went out to Port Lambton's Brander Park.  Several Yellow-rumped there, and some Cedar Waxwings.  It has been quite some time since I have seen some waxwings.





No comments:

Post a Comment