Sunday, March 27, 2022

Ravenous Friday

 Not much to report this time around as the horrid weekend weather continues.  Friday was not too bad for birding in the Rondeau area.  I did Rondeau Park, Shrewsbury and Erieau.

There were not a lot of birds, but I did get a couple first-of-year.  Finally saw an Eastern Phoebe this year!

I walked the campground with Steve.  Highlight was a Common Raven!  While this species is expanding its range south, there are not too many records in the Rondeau Birding area.  All park records are in the fall, plus a few winter/spring records outside the park.

I have seen three previous in the park (17 Nov 2012, 13 Oct 2013, 1 Oct 2016).  This was my first spring record.  We heard, then saw it flying out of the park.  Unknown to us at the time, Craig Anderson had seen it a short time before flying into the park!

The Shrewsbury Eurasian Collard-Dove has been more evident recently.  It seemed to have disappeared for a while, but was probably around though.  I finally caught up with it on Friday.



It was here last year until December, then took winter vacation somewhere, perhaps not far away.  I am sure it hopes to find a girlfriend soon!

There are only two other documented records for the Rondeau area, both in the park.  The very first was found by Alan Wormington in May 2003.  I only heard that one!  The other was found by the Burk's in September 2017.

After seeing the dove, I went into Erieau and walked the rail trail.  Lots of ducks were on the Bay, but I did not have a scope on the walk.  Some yellowlegs, as FOY birds, were in front of the viewing platform.





This Horned Grebe was at the start of the trail.



I scoped the ducks from the firehall, but did not find the Eurasian Wigeon.  It was there somewhere though!  Many thousands of ducks had to be sorted through.  These views from the rail trail.



Just after I got home, I was pleased to see and hear a Sandhill Crane fly over the  house.  It was a first for here!  Long overdue.

Saturday was horrible weather, so nothing noteworthy to report.  

Sunday was not great either!  I went to Rondeau anyway.  Robins were concentrated in the campground, wondering what the deal was with this winter weather!


Nothing new at the home feeder yet.



More birds will be showing up, and perhaps we will have our first Louisiana Waterthrush by next weekend!



No comments:

Post a Comment