Monday, January 24, 2022

Gullable Along the St. Clair River

 Sunday, I headed in the Sarnia direction.  It started out a bit snowy as I walked the old landfill on Blackwell Road at first light.  I did not stir up anything new.  A Northern Shrike was near the back corner and the continuing meadowlark was briefly seen.  There is often a wintering Eastern Meadowlark in the area.


Next stop, I parked at Sarnia Harbour to look at gulls and such.  At least the harbour is not full of ships like the old days.  This photo I took in 1973!


Hundreds of gulls are in the area, but nothing stood out.  It was here back on 21 February 1992 that Dennis Rupert spotted a Ross's Gull.  We are certainly overdue for one again!

The usual gulls were seen.




I next moved down to Guthrie Park at Corunna. Eventually the sun came out here.  Later in the afternoon is always better here, but I am never there at that time.  For whatever reason, the gulls and ducks come in closer and increase in numbers later in the day.

I saw up to six Glaucous Gulls, but not a single Iceland.

Here are some shots:








I headed inland afterwards.  Came across a large flock of American Tree Sparrows at McKeough CA.  A Field Sparrow stood out.


Often one can find a Field Sparrow with American Tree Sparrows in winter!

I did a short walk at Reid CA later.  Only thing notable was a tight group of five Song Sparrows.  My camera lens had fogged up at this point for some reason, so no photos!





2 comments:

  1. Hey Blake been seeing a Snowy on Charlemont just East of Kimball on north side. Also a Belted Kingfisher on Running Creek at Forhan bridge. Tks for your report.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There seems to be a Snowy Owl on Charlemont there every year. I have seen it a few times this year. I would imagine the kingfisher is wandering farther looking for open water!

      Delete