Saturday, October 16, 2021

Some Lakewatches and Things In-between

 There has been lack of subject matter for me lately, but I still go out at every opportunity.  It has been tough with this crazy weather and southerly winds.  The rain never seems to end!  Our climate sure has changed.

Last Monday on the holiday, I went down to Point Pelee.  A decent SSE wind was blowing so I though I would give it a try.  There was not really much movement, but a couple of jaegers were seen.  Just a few minutes before I got to the Tip, Michael observed a couple of Parasitic Jaegers.  There was some hope!

Later, we did observe another jaeger quite distant which was likely a Parasitic.  Soon, I spotted a fairly close jaeger coming down the west side.  I immediately thought it was a Pomarine.


There was some discussion with some uncertainty as to species.





Sometimes they are quite obvious, but other times not so much.  This one I had to do some study at home to be sure, but concluded it was a Pomarine.

I have seen only two other Poms at Pelee.


Algoma Compass in Pelee Passage

I was hoping to find some butterflies later, but there was not much to be found.....yet again!



Friday I went to Rondeau and once again fought with the rain.  Yet again it was not a good day for a lakewatch.  The lake was almost birdless!  I hope by late October into November things will change there.

Birds were moving along the east side, especially Yellow-rumped Warblers and some Palm Warblers.  While at dog beach, I noticed a flock of 60-70 Yellow-rumped get up at one point.  By the end of the stay, I had well over 400 Yellow-rumped.  

There was not many other species, but I added Blackpoll, Black-throated Blue and Black-throated Green.

Later, I got word of a Cattle Egret at Shrewsbury, so I went over there.  We looked around and even went for a short boat ride but came up empty.  So, I took a short walk at Keith McLean C. L. I did not get far before the rain hit again.

I went back into the park, and eventually took another walk on south point.

Parked Peregrine


On the way home, I stopped again at McLean's.  I did see a couple of Nelson's, but not much else.  A good spot for a Cattle Egret though!  Not to be this time.



Today I needed a change in scenery, so went up to Kettle Point. It has been a long time since I have done a lake watch there.  Yet again, we had to fight with the endless rain.  Is it ever going to quit?

It was not the best wind, but it was fairly brisk out of the NNW.

There was some movement, especially ducks later, but nothing of note.  A number of birders were there, so it was quite a social event!  Nice to do once in a while.

The scenery sure has changed there.  Here is a view today at the "point".  The shale has made a berm.



We used to be able to walk out almost a kilometre when the water was much lower.  Here is a view I took back in November 2007 at the same spot.  Quite a difference!


Here is a view I took from way out!  This was a good kilometre out on the point! (c. 2010)



Of course, Kettle Point is known for the concretions called kettles.




I stopped by Forest Lagoons on the way back. It was just too windy for good birding there.  There were more White-crowned Sparrows than anything.


I took a quick walk at Wilkesport just before home to stretch my legs.  I guess the best bird of the day was a "Yellow" Palm Warbler there.  The only warbler I saw!


No comments:

Post a Comment