Sunday, August 1, 2021

Holiday Weekend Wanderings

 Keeping myself amused, I have done quite a bit of running around the last couple of days. I keep an eye out for anything!  I did not find much in the way of odes, as it has been a crappy year around here for them.  Much the same for some butterflies.

The results came in for the Clear Creek butterfly count of July 25.  We tallied 50 species which is quite respectable for the date.  Overall numbers somewhat down as expected.  My party recored the only Broad-winged Skippers.

Friday, I went north.  I first veered into Middlesex County to check out Strathroy Lagoons.  Last year it was excellent for shorebirds, and this year look good as well.  Nothing unusual this day though.

Solitary Sandpiper

I then went to north Lambton for a vigorous walk through the Lambton Heritage Forest.  One has to walk quickly these days with the mosquitoes....certainly the worst I have ever seen them!

Scarlet Tanager

Nothing noteworthy in insects, but I was early in the day, and it was quite windy.  I recorded five Acadian Flycatchers and a couple lingering Hooded Warblers among others.

Karner Blue Sanctuary was another stop.

Wild Indigo Duskywing

Tawny-edged Skipper

Monarch

On the way back home, I stopped at the Shetland boat launch site.  The river was even higher than last week, so little habitat to look at.  A few of the rare Blue-ringed Dancers were around, but I saw no Dusky Dancers.



A very teneral dragonfly caught my attention and I believe it is a Flag-tailed Spinyleg.  This was the only angle I got on it, and with no colour, it is difficult to ID.  They are known here, and it the first one I have seen away from McKeough.



Stream Bluets were the most common.



I also stopped at Moore WMA.  At least the water level is lower here again.  Nothing new, but certainly a lack of odes compared to what I usually see at this time.

Blue-tipped Dancer

I always check the exposed mussels, but nothing new.  Mapleleaf and Deer Toe are common here.




A quick stop at Wilkesport revealed a posing Royal River Cruiser.



Saturday, I headed to south Chatham-kent, first stopping at Blenheim lagoons.  Nothing unusual, but one has to check!


Five Redhead ducks were in, including the curious young bird.  One wonders where it came from.



A quick walk in Rondeau Park revealed Scarlet Bea Balm in a known spot.



I checked Keith McLean C. L. as well, but it is not very inviting for shorebirds this year.  One can only hope for a good heron type!

Farther east, I walked through Clear Creek Forest.



The old quarry was almost devoid of odes.  There was not a single dragonfly flying over the pond.  Unbelievable!  I have given up on Comet Darners for this year....lol.

I saw some of the Broad-winged Skippers, resident here.



From there, I headed north to Wardsville to check out one of my favourite walking spots.  



The TTLT Wardsville Woods is a nice place for butterflies.  Lots of Spicebush and Giant Swallowtails were flying this day.



I found what will likely be my last Banded Hairstreak of the year.



Heading towards home, I drove through the "Misery" then veered north to stop at McKeough.  A waste of time if one was looking for odes!  Lots of Eastern Amberwings though. Not many leps either.

Eastern Tailed-Blue

White-spotted Sable moth


Today, I headed SW and went for a walk at Point Pelee.

Buttonbush at De Laurier

Also walked Hillman Marsh around the shorebird cell and boardwalk area.  At "least" I "spotted" some skippers.

Least Skipper

Usually around the shorebird cell is good for butterflies, but.....

Silver-spotted Skipper

I was looking at various plants along the way.

Swamp Rose-Mallow

Pickeralweed


The only bird of interest today was a Northern Mockingbird at Hillman.



I went home via Blenheim.  Nothing new at the lagoons compared to yesterday.  Same stuff.  Soon something of interest will show... I hope.

Peck's Skipper in the yard this aft.



No comments:

Post a Comment