Saturday, July 24, 2021

Blue Grosbeak In Summer

 A short post today, as I finally went to view the Blue Grosbeak near Walsingham in Norfolk County.  I needed a change in scenery, so it was a nice trip!  Weather was good in the morning despite the forecast saying otherwise.

I found the bird right away, as it has been on territory since at least July 4 when Erik Van Den Keiboom found the young male.  I actually saw Erik today just before I left the trail!



Upon arrival, I could hear the bird singing, and then it took a few minutes to pinpoint its location.

It is pretty unique to find a Blue Grosbeak in Ontario in summer.  I recall a pair near Cedar Springs that showed up in May 1995 and stayed most of the summer.  We kept close tabs on it, and there was breeding evidence, but that never really came to the point of seeing young.

The next spring, a male was observed in the same location.

I have seen a couple others, but as overshoots in spring migration at Rondeau Park.

Back to Long Point area.  It is a fabulous place for birding and nature as there are many tracts of land set aside.  One can spend days in the area!

After viewing the grosbeak, I went for a brief walk at the St. Williams forestry station.  It was rather quiet for birds.  I have been there a few times in the past.

Next stop was down at Port Rowan Wetlands.  It too was quiet.  Upon arrival, I met up with Jeremy Hatt and Mark Field who were spending a day birding in Norfolk.

This is the former Port Rowan sewage lagoons which have been converted into a wetland with a surrounding trail.  It was created in the late 1990's.

I recall being here while it was a regular sewage lagoon.  On this very road is Ron Banks boat shop where I worked for a short period of time.   I spent quite a bit of time birding in the area in the evenings after work.

Clouds were building in the west after my visit to the wetlands, so I started heading back west towards home.  I encountered heavy rain for some time until I got to Chatham-Kent.  I decided to stop in at Blenheim Lagoons.  Much quieter than the previous day!



Two Wilson's Phalaropes were still  there, and no sign of the 'early' Horned Grebe.



Tomorrow is the Clear Creek butterfly count.  Looks like a decent day weatherwise.  Yep, the forecasts were wrong yet again!


No comments:

Post a Comment