Thursday, June 24, 2021

Hairstreak Heyday

 Looks like a banner year for hairstreaks in this area!  Things were shaping up on Sunday when I went for a visit to Reid in mid morning.








Today, I heard that hairstreaks were in crazy numbers at Reid and other places.  I did not get there until six this evening, but dozens of hairstreaks were still out, and under overcast skies (the weekend is coming!).  Usually by this time of day you see few, especially under overcast conditions.  I probably saw 60 Banded, and likely eight Oak Hairstreaks.



Banded Hairstreak

Oldtimer

Shy Oak Hairsteak




Many of the Indian Hemp flowerheads looked like this.  Some had even more hairstreaks1




Mosquitoes were crazy too.  They really came out this week!

I got word today that an Oak Hairstreak was seen at Skunk's Misery a few days ago by Don and Rayfield Pye.  (I have the photo).  So, a new location, not to mention a new species for Middlesex!

Also, hairstreaks abound at Moore WMA.  I received word today that Oak Hairstreaks were there as well.  I had them there in 2008 when I first discovered the Oak Hairstreaks at Reid, but have not seen them there since.

Keep your eyes peeled, the Oak Hairstreaks are comiing to a place near you!

No comments:

Post a Comment