Saturday, June 5, 2021

Dovetown Birding and Tip Watching

 Friday, the mission was to check out Shrewsbury where some doves were seen recently.  On May 27, Ian Richards, Shrewsbury's newest resident, found a Eurasian Collared-Dove near his house.  It was relocated by some intrepid birders earlier this week.

On Thursday, Garry Sadler was looking for it but turned up a White-winged Dove!  He eventually saw the collared-dove as well.  You can see his photos on eBird.

Early Friday morning I arrived just after sun-up and took on the search.  There are an amazing number of Mourning Doves to sort through!  After some time, I left without any luck on the collared-dove, but then Steve Charbonneau found it at the west end of Metcalfe Street.  I raced back to find it singing in a dead tree.😉



There are few records for the Rondeau area.  For me, I only heard the one that was at the park in May 2003.  I was certain I had one fly over south point trail many years ago as well.  I never wrote it up though!

I suspect the White-winged Dove is still hiding in Lonesome Dove as well.

I then did some birding in Rondeau Park, just finding breeding birds.

Acadian Flycatcher


A stop at McLean Conservation Lands is always interesting, so that was next.  An amazing number of gulls has been present, but no rarities.


At least four Lesser Black-backed Gulls are amongst them.



The White-faced Ibis was not seen after Thursday.

Today, a change in scenery was needed so I headed to Point Pelee where I had a good feeling about seeing American White Pelicans.  They are regular there at this time of year since they now breed on the small islands in Lake Erie.

Upon arrival at the Tip, three pelicans were there to greet me.😄




Heading back, I took a look out the east side from the "42 sign" trail.  I saw two more pelicans for a total of five.  Where those two suddenly came from, I have no idea!

There was good gull action at the Tip as well.  I saw two first cycle Little Gulls early on, with one in an odd plumage.  A small percentage of first cycle birds will develop a full hood.



I have had Franklin's, Black-headed and Laughing Gull there at this time of year, but none were to be seen today.😢

Most bonies were immatures, but this one adult stood out.



I had the Tip pretty much to myself for almost two hours before the "tourists" arrived.

Little Gull (lower bird)


I did not spend much more time in the park.  As usual, butterflies were scarce.

Eastern Kingbird


I stopped by Hillman marsh to take a peek at the shorebird cell.  By this time of year it is always drained, but worth a look.  Nine Great Egrets and three Sandhill Cranes were there among some Mallards.

On the way home I stopped by the Camper's Cove field east of Wheatley where one would expect Dickcissels by this time.  Sure enough I heard one.

Mission accomplished for today!


No comments:

Post a Comment