Saturday, May 1, 2021

More Migrants and FOY's

 I was down to Rondeau Friday morning bright and early.  The previous day was not good for birding with rain, wind and cool temps.

It was crisp and clear but quite windy as I set out around the maintenance yard.  I had hopes to see the lingering Prairie Warbler, but it was not to be.  Some FOY birds included Great-crested Flycatcher and Rose-breasted Grosbeak.

I then shot down to south point trail and found it quiet.  Not far along the trail, I got word from fellow blogger Nathan Miller that a Yellow-breasted Chat was at pony barn.

I got there too late, and it did not show the rest of the morning!  However, a number of birds were in the area (the only spot in the park there were some birds).  Two White-eyed Vireos were singing (my second and third for the day), as well as Yellow-throated Vireo (FOY).


Our earliest Yellow-throated Warbler was April 13, when Steve and I found on on south point many years ago.

An early Red-eyed Vireo (FOY) was there as well, but all my photos showed a headless bird!  So, make it into whatever you want!



White-eyed Vireos are popular this year, unlike some years where we have difficulty finding them.

We spent much of the morning in the pony barn area, as a decent flock of migrants kept circling the area.  Included was a Northern Parula, a FOY.



Included were serveral warblers, and an early Gray-cheeked Thrush.

At one point, we got word of a Yellow-throated Warbler along Lakeshore Road.  Having missed last week's bird, it was a must-see.

We eventually found it as it sand constantly.  I managed to get one good photo.



About ten FOY birds were listed on Friday.

Today, I knew things would be quiet at Rondeau (except for Chats!), so I checked out Hillman Marsh shorebird cell first thing.  I like it early morning as the lighting is good.  However, the shorebird situation is usually better later in the day.

It was nice to meet up with Marianne B. who I had not seen in a couple of years.  There were several Mute Swans in the cell and we watched the two local Trumpeter Swans come in and tell them to bugger off!



There were some American Golden Plover among other shorebirds.  



The only FOY was a Semipalmated Plover for me.

Not interested in going to Point Pelee today, I headed back to Rondeau in hopes of seeing the Prairie Warbler and Yellow-breasted Chat.  The warbler was no problem, but that Chat....

The Prairie Warbler was not too co-operative for the camera though.


Still lots of time to see a Chat.

Down past pony barn, I came across a flycatcher.  It did not strike me as a Least as one would most expect at this time.  Seemed more fitting for an Acadian, but it never vocalized.  Very greenish bird.



Sunday looks a little better for birds, so stay tuned!


No comments:

Post a Comment