Tuesday, April 20, 2021

More Rambling...What Else?

 Things have been fairly boring lately, not to mention depressing weather as I write this (very cold and snowing!  However, I am not one to stay in.

Yesterday afternoon I went for a walk at Reid CA before the weather deteriorated.  There were few birds, but I was looking more for butterflies and plants.  (only brought the point and shoot camera).

Wet area in the old oxbow


Highlight was another Compton Tortoiseshell.



There were numerous Eastern Commas.



One anglewing turned out to be a Question Mark, fairly early.  Usually we see the dark form, but this one was light which possibly suggests it overwintered.

distant photo


A few Mourning Cloaks were flying.



I did find the Twinleaf plants where I had them last year.  Easy to walk by it seems!  I think it is a neat plant.



Today was very cool, but I got out to McKeough before the weather deteriorated even more.  I walked through some areas I will be checking thoroughly for the bird atlas.

There is Twinleaf here too!



The area also has an old oxbow.  Will be checking this further into the breeding season.



I drove around a bit afterwards, especially along Smith Line which is the north boundary of my atlas square.  Good thing there is a bridge over the Sydenham.  This is what is used to be like (before my time, of course).

1938



No comments:

Post a Comment