Sunday, March 7, 2021

More March Meandering

 I did quite a bit of meandering this weekend.  Still too cold and icy, so little has changed.  I did the Rondeau area on Friday.  I guess I got some exercise more than anything in the park!  Very few birds and nothing new except Red-winged Blackbirds.

Bald Eagle at Rondeau Park

After some touring around aimlessly, my last stop was Ridgetown lagoons.  I was not even going to go there, but things were getting desperate.  There were lots of waterfowl, including Tundra Swans. (Must be a "Bewick's" Swan there somewhere).




The south pond revealed the find of the day, two Greater White-fronted Geese.



I was so fixated on the the two geese, I did not even see the Snow Geese behind them at first!




Saturday I did too much driving around for little results.  I was actually in Sarnia when a Eurasian Wigeon was found at Suncor Nature Way.  However, by the time I would have arrived at the site, it would have been long gone.  They flew off!  Some excellent photos were taken by DAB, which you can see on eBird.  There will be more I am sure.

I wandered east in the county.  On Smith's Falls Road, which is a really neat road, I spotted a pair of Golden Eagles.  I only got photos of the one.




Although increasing in recent years, they are always nice to see.  Many winter around the Lambton/Middlesex border north of Newbury and along the Ausable River north of Arkona.

Nearby, I stopped by Shetland CA for a walk.  Nothing of note and a bit early to look for Blue-ringed Dancers....lol.

Today, there was just no good place to go.  I ended up at Sarnia to walk the Suncor Nature Way.  (Just in case the Eurasian Wigeon showed up again).  Not much variety and too many Mallards.  In fact, the only ducks were Mallards and a few Black Ducks.  I did see the wintering Northern Shrike.  This time of year, an optimistic birder should be on the lookout for a Loggerhead!  Even the Long-eared Owls had left.

I went home via the St. Clair River, but found nothing of note.  Many of the wintering ducks have departed the river.


This week will be warm, so we should see a difference in birds.

Keep rolling along......!




No comments:

Post a Comment