Monday, January 18, 2021

Local Blackbirding

 Just a quick post today.  I had no plans to go anywhere today, but just went for a walk at Peers Wetland locally early this morning.  It is only a five minute drive from home.  I was out for some exercise and fresh air, and did not expect to see anything of note.

Near the south end, I saw a few blackbirds, not too exciting.  I walked back to the car and headed down the road.  At the south end of the wetland, I noticed a huge flock of blackbirds.  Had to check those out!

As mentioned in previous posts, there has been a large flock of blackbirds around town, but I had never obtained a decent look.  Today's flock was predominately Brown-headed Cowbirds, which with past experience with winter flocks, has a good chance of containing a Yellow-headed Blackbird.

Well, it did not take long to find a yellow head!  Unfortunately I did not have my camera on hand, as there was nothing on the radar to photograph on today's outing.

I only had my cell phone to take a photo, which is essentially useless!



I informed one local birder who spent quite a bit of time later, and eventually found the male.

Being intrigued, I went back in the afternoon armed with a camera.  The flock had moved to the trees along Otter Creek.  



I kept scanning until I found the male.



I thought it would be a good idea to keep looking just in case there was something else.  I found a second male Yellow-headed Blackbird farther back in the flock!



I had a good feeling about this roaming flock recently, and persistence paid off.  For whatever reason, Yellow-headed Blackbirds tend to travel with Brown-headed Cowbirds around here.  I remember a couple of Christmas Bird Counts in the distant past where we had huge flocks of cowbirds.  Usually there was a Yellow-headed or two with them!

Still some open water and a pair of Mute Swans was taking advantage.




 

2 comments:

  1. martha irene woods WoodsJanuary 19, 2021 at 8:19 PM

    That's a GREAT tick for your
    2021 Winter Year list--congrats!

    ReplyDelete