Sunday, November 1, 2020

Pelee Cave

 Point Pelee was on the agenda today as gale-force winds were blowing.  Birds were having fun at the Tip with the WSW winds stirring things up.



It was too brutal to stand out on the Tip, so we managed to find a spot on the east beach behind the trees.  Red-breasted Mergansers were the bird of the day.  I really have no idea how many were being blown around, but it was upwards of 10,000.



There were no rare gulls seen, but one would think a Black-legged Kittiwake would make an appearance.  



We spotted a couple of shorebirds way out, but they were only Krazy Killdeer.

After some time doing a Tip watch, we headed up the east side to Sparrow Field.  Several Eastern Phoebes were busy.  A few other birds were seen as well.

Hermit Thrush


I left the Tip and checked out De Laurier.  Along with Jeremy Hatt and Mike Nelson, I spent some time on the viewing stand at the back hoping for something of interest such as a Cave Swallow.  The day before one was seen here!  No dice today, but while there, Keith reported one back at the Tip.  I thought it was just a flyby, so I left thinking that I would not see it even if I tried.  I was well out of the park when it was reported again in the same area.  Well, I had to go back!

Luckily, it was still there when I arrived.




Just in time too, as a bit later, a Merlin came along and the  swallow quickly vanished.  However, it was found resting on a Barn Swallow nest under the "pizza hut"!  Perhaps it was hiding there in the morning while we were watching the Tip!



It has been a few years since I have seen a Cave Swallow.  They used to be quite abundant late October/early November to the point the species was left off the review list for the OBRC.  However, it was reinstated a few years ago.

The first big invasion was way back in 1999.  I saw some at Erieau that time.  Subsequently I have seen them there several times and a couple of times at Point Pelee.  Also at Rondeau Park.



No comments:

Post a Comment