Saturday, September 26, 2020

Rondeau Birding September 24-26

 The last three days I took it easy and went down to Rondeau.  Thursday morning I stopped by Keith McLean C. L. to check on the controversial teal.  Although originally identified as a Cinnamon Teal the previous Saturday, by this time there was considerable doubt.  I was gearing up for my Algonquin trip when it was first reported, so was not prepared to drive down and see it.

I did see the supposed bird fairly quickly.  It appears that Blue-winged Teal can show some"cinnamon" colour to variying degrees on the chest and belly.  When one gets looking, there are several Blue-winged Teal that have some "rust" colour!  Overall, I thought the teal looked like a Blue-winged.  The bill was not all that diagnostic, but in Cinnamon, it should obviously be larger and more spatulate in appearance (in most cases).  There is still some discussion out there, but most observers have changed their tune and could not ID it as a Cinnamon, leaving it as "teal" sp.  It is certainly something to look into and do some research.

Just before I saw the subject bird, I was looking closely at the edge where we had Nelson's Sparrows the last couple of years.  It was a bit early in the season for them, but not entirely unexpected to have one around.  At one point, a sparrow popped up right beside me, and sure enough it was a Nelson's!  I fired off some photos without making proper adjustments to the camera.



There were a few shorebirds in, but they continually come and go at McLean's.

I then went into the park and started at south point trail.  Loads of warblers were at the parking lot right from the start, and many went unidentified as they quickly moved through the trees.  

Chestnut-sided Warbler


I ended up with 17 species of warblers, with large numbers of some, and including a somewhat late Northern Waterthrush.  Most numerous seemed to be Blackpolls.



It is amazing how many Blackpolls we get moving through in fall migration. I remember many years ago the park was littered with them.  I estimated at least 800 in the park.

American Redstart



I actually spent quite a bit of time in the park also looking for butterflies....especially Ocola Skipper.  Although I did not find one, there must be some there!  Lots of Common Buckeyes were around though.





Locally, I found a couple of Fiery Skippers.  One was even in the yard last Saturday.



I also watched for plants.  I came aross Closed Gentian in a known spot.


I was thinking it had been a long time since I saw Fringed Gentian in the park, but nearby I found some!


There is a lot of Great Plains Ladies Tresses.


Winterberry Holly is showing well.




Friday I went back to Rondeau and there were even more birds at south point trail.  They were quickly moving south and streaming at times, so once again, who knows what all was there.  Out south beach, JB reported a massive movement of warblers, numbering in the neighbourhood of 500!

I ended up with 17 warbler species, but a couple different from the previous day.

The north end of the park again revealed very few birds.

Peregrine

I stopped by McLean's on the way home.  Shorebirds were coming and going, including a dozen Pecs that suddenly dropped in.

Today (Saturday), I went back starting at McLean's for a quick look first thing.  We probably saw a Nelson's Sparrow, but they are quick to hide in the weeds.

At the start of south point trail, there were lots of birds yet again.  I did not add anything special today, but nice to be out.

Another Common Checkered-Skipper or two went through the yard this afternoon.  I was optimistic in hoping an Ocola would show up!


Sunday is the last day of my week off, so will have to make the best of it.





6 comments:

  1. Maybe it was just as well you didn't make proper adjustments to your camera to take the Nelson's Sparrow photo , Blake . Looks like a really nice photo to me , lol !!! Nice colouring , exposure and composition for a usually hard to photograph bird !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks M.B. I suppose the early morning sun enhanced the photo, especially the orange colour!

      Delete
  2. I agree...very nice photo of the Nelson’s Sparrow, Blake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely pic of the Nelson's, and those fiery skippers! I stopped at the dog beach around 7 this morning hoping for a whimbrel but was content to enjoy the solitude with a black bellied plover. I had a quick look for the Nelson's on my way out but didn't have any luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christy. The Whimbrel may have moved on since others could not find it as well. It stayed a week!

      Delete