Friday, July 10, 2020

Recent Observations (Pelee) and Events (Sombra Ferry)

With the very hot and dry weather, little has been happening at my end.  Or, at least one has no ambition!

Today I wanted to go to Point Pelee.  We can now get in the park at 7 a.m., so one can beat the heat and tourists!  I walked to the Tip and watched for over an hour.  I had the place to myself, so that was nice.  A few gulls were around, including the Lesser Black-backed that has been around for some time.




There were no Bonaparte's Gulls for some time, but all of a sudden, a bunch came in.  Possibly they were scared off Seacliffe Beach by tourists.



Several Black and Common Terns were loafing about.




Pelicans have thinned out, but at one point I am sure I had one in the distance.

I walked up west beach trail, then cut over to Sparrow Field in hopes of seeing the resident Yellow-breasted Chat.  It was still there and made a lot of noise in the underbrush for the longest time.  It popped up briefly, so I got a quick look, then it disappeared again.  So much for a photo!  Included here is a photo from last year (2019) at northwest beach in the park.



It was a FOY, as there were only a couple of at Rondeau this spring I never caught up with.  The one at McGeachy Pond never co-operated for me despite my efforts!

I continued up west beach trail, but there was little to see.  I am sure the hot and dry conditions kept leps and odes at bay.  I saw only a few common species.

Common Whitetail (f)

Black Saddlebags

Blue Dasher (f)

I checked Cactus Field trail as well before leaving.


Out of the park, I passed by Mersea Road 21 fields.  Seven Short-billed Dowitcher were in the wet area.



I headed east and ended up at Blenheim lagoons.  We are indeed well into fall migration, and lots of shorebirds are showing up.  There were over 30 Lesser Yellowlegs at Blenheim, among other species.

Halloween Pennant


The summering Ring-necked Duck and Canvasback were still around.


Blenheim bonie


Now I must inject an historical note here!
It was the end of an era at Sombra this week, as the ferries were sold.  The Daldean left about 05:15 Tuesday morning, much too early for me to get up!
Some photos were taken just downriver by M.B., and I thank him very much for these.





My cousin Rusty was at the helm to take the Daldean to its new home at Bob-Lo Island.

This ferry means much to me as it was built new at Erieau in 1950-51 on order from my grandfather, Morgan Dalgety, and his business partner at the time.
There was much fanfare on its maiden voyage and arrival at Sombra July 1, 1951.  There was a big celebration for the 'big new ferry' after its arrival.

The photo below was taken at Port Lambton July 1, 1951 by my uncle Bill Abraham passing near the old Ohio Cottage Hotel. The Mann summer cottage was nearby.



Three long and two short!

No comments:

Post a Comment