Friday, June 26, 2020

Some Recent Lambton Sightings

I headed up to north Lambton this morning.  I like to check out that area this time of year especially for insects.  Firstly I started at Ausable River Cut CA to put in some time.  It was a bit early to see any insects.

I then headed over to L-Lake Trail and NCC trail, sometimes called Port Franks Forested Dunes.  In this area and at Pinery, it is quite evident of a large Gypsy Moth caterpiller outbreak.  Probably worst I have ever seen!  Oaks are completely defoliated.  I noticed they are even attacking Hemlocks.

Around the Hemlocks, we find Acadian Flycatchers in this area.  I came across at least five today.  They are quite numerous in the County Forest.

The NCC trail comes off the L-Lake trail and heads towards Port Franks.  There used to be a bridge at the end, but that has been gone for a long time.  I walked as far as I could before it got too wet.
Part of the trail follows a creek that winds through the County Forest.



At one point, I spotted a Cyrano Darner, which is rare in the area, and has been reported in recent weeks.  It is also seen at Pinery.  It was continually patrolling over the creek, so I could only try and take a photo.  They fly with an arched abdomen.



Other odes along the way included Slaty Skimmer.

male

female


This one I believe is a Lancet Clubtail, but could be wrong.  Not sure what else it could be.  I have not photographed one before.



Eastern Pondhawk was the most common ode, while a few Twelve-spotted Skimmers were seen.



Red-spotted Purple was the most common butterfly.



There were lots of birds, including a singing Cerulean Warbler.  I also heard a Black-throated Blue Warbler, which is an uncommon breeder in the area.



Hooded Warblers, among other species, were also heard of course.

Next stop was Ipperwash Forested Dunes and Swales.  I only walked the Cedar trail, which skirts the wetland.  There were very few odes today!
I usually come across lots of Racket-tailed Emeralds, but I only saw a single individual today.  It did not co-operate for a good photo!



Slaty-Skimmers were also noted.


Aurora Damsel


Nearer home, I stopped by Reid CA, where I found three of my favourite hairstreaks in short order.






Several Banded Hairstreaks were also out.



Yesterday, I checked McKeough for odes, but perhaps it was too late in the day. I was interested in finding Flag-tailed Spinyleg, but they are yet to come.  I did see a couple of Pronghorn Clubtails which are regular there.


Eastern Amberwing
The last couple of weeks I ahve been entertained at dusk by Eastern Screech-Owls in the backyard.  Last evening I managed to get a photo of one.


These are one of the first birds I ever remember. When I was very (very!) young, I recall them sitting on the fenceposts in the backyard at dusk!


No comments:

Post a Comment