Saturday, February 1, 2020

Grey Getaway and More

Friday, I decided to take a longer drive and go up to Owen Sound in Grey County to see the Barrow's Goldeneye which has been in the sound for some time.  It was the first time in several weeks the weather was half decent (for a weekend), but even as I write this blog, we are getting a fair bit of snow! (My weekends start on Friday).

I basically drove straight through, which was at least a four hour drive from home.  The harbour area was frozen, but there was open water off Kelso Beach Park where one can look at waterfowl and gulls.

Goldeneye of the Common type
One of two Glaucous Gulls seen



I was there a good hour and could not find the subject duck.  I then left and drove around a bit, then came back.  There is really no other public access along the west side of the sound, I found.

The goldeneye was right off the park, as I looked on my second attempt!



I do not think I missed it earlier, but it could have been out of sight on the other side of the marina.

For the boat buffs, a couple of the older Algoma ships are resting at Owen Sound for the winter, as well as the Manitoulin Island ferry, Chi Cheemaun.

Algoma Buffalo, Algoma Compass


I have never done much birding in Grey County and mostly passed through in my travels.  One time passing through, I recall coming across a Palm Warbler in a boggy area somewhere near Walter's Falls on 23 June 2000.  It should have been much farther north at that date!

Another time, I specifically went looking for a Northern Hawk Owl that had been wintering south of Williamsford in 2001.  I had never seen one before that, so I thought I would take a chance and look for it, even though it had not been reported for about two weeks.  I got lucky on that one!
I drove around endlessly on January 20 of that winter, and was about to give up as I headed the car back south for home.  Along the highway, I finally spotted the owl atop a spruce tree!  I had no camera at the time, unfortunately.

Back to the present, after seeing the goldeneye, I headed west along highway 21.  By the time I got to Port Elgin there was a fine snow falling, so the weather was not ideal.  I checked the waterfront there, then headed down to MacGregor Point Provincial Park.  I do not think I have been there in the dead of winter before, so I checked it out.  It was very quiet for birds.
Visibility was not that great due to the falling snow.  Just after New Year's, an Eared Grebe was at this location.



Near the VC, there was a group of birds on the trail which were taking advantage of seeds that tourists set out.



Snow continued to fall as I headed south. At the Kincardine waterfront, it was downright gloomy!  There were lots of gulls, but the visibility was too poor to pick anything out.

I continued down to Goderich where I decided to spend the night.  Before sunset, I checked the harbour and walked over the old railway bridge.  Algoma Enterprise is wintering in the harbour.



Today was a much better day, at least in the morning.  South of Goderich, I walked the Naftel's Creek CA.  I usually stop here when I am in the area.  Very quiet today.  It is nice in the breeding season where one can find some good birds.

Skies were clear when I arrived at Pinery Provincial Park.  There were actually quite a few birds around, including several American Robins and a decent flock of Cedar Waxwings.  I looked for a cinnamon butt to no avail.



Wax Cedarwings Cedar Waxwings

Not a Fieldfare


The beach and road out from P9 is severely washed out, so I think there were will be no vehicle traffic there this year.  Seems to be a trend along every shore lately!



A number of friendly birds were at P9 parking lot as usual.  It is here that many people feed them.  Bring your sunflower seeds or the birds will be upset!




Heading south from Pinery, the weather deteriorated to more typical weekend-like conditions, as usual.  That was it for today!




No comments:

Post a Comment