Friday, February 7, 2020

Atlassing on the Horizon!

Recently, I realized that in 2021 we will be out in the field for the third Ontario Breeding Bird Atlas project!  It has been almost twenty years since the last Ontario Breeding Bird Atlas data-gathering period began.  From 2001-2005, hundreds of Ontario birders were out in the field gathering breeding evidence for birds in Ontario to be compiled into a second atlas.
Beginning in 2021, the third atlas will begin!

It was back in 1981-1985 that Ontario's first atlas project occurred.  I was not involved in that, but I do recall when the book finally came out in the late 1980's.  We all purchased our copies!



During the second atlas, I was quite involved out in the field.  Some of us took over particular 10 km squares in our area, while we were also able to do casual observations in any other squares in the province.  We had various paper forms to fill out and mail in, or could enter some data via the internet.  I am sure this time around, there will be more use of electronic devices!



During the second atlas, the regional co-ordinator often organized blitzes, sometimes in the evenings.  We would divy up an area in a certain square and go out to see what we could find.
Other events were of longer duration.  For example, locally, Walpole Island was covered (with special arrangement) over a couple of days.  We had the option of staying at one of the lodges, but since I was not far from home, I just stayed at home!

It was quite interesting as we could access areas that were not available otherwise.  We also had guides arranged to take out on boats to cover the marshes and channels.
Unfortunately I did not have a camera along for much of it, but I did take this photo at one point of a Small Yellow Ladies Slipper I found along the Chematogan.


I had a few other photos, but they were lost when the memory stick went bad!

I recall one of our better finds, that being a pair of King Rails at the south end of the island.

I was using my boat often around that era, and would record things along the way.  I spent a lot of time along the Chenal Ecarte (Snye River), often going down the Johnston Channel to Lake St. Clair.  Phragmites was getting bad by then, but nothing like it is now.  You cannot see anything!

Approaching "Dark Bend"


The "hefty" book for the second atlas came out in 2007 and it was interesting to note the changes from the first atlas project.  Some species declined significantly, while other increased.



With more birders out there than ever nowadays, coverage should be good in the upcoming period.
We will be looking forward to 2021 when the third atlas begins.....

Water Snake on Seaway Island


No comments:

Post a Comment