Saturday, December 14, 2019

Guthrie Gulls to Stewart Sandhills

Earlier this afternoon, I swung by Stewart Line west of Wallaceburg.  Sandhill Cranes are still congregating daily in the corn fields.  I counted 112, which is about the number that has been around for some time.





As I have mentioned before, these come over from Michigan each morning, then return at the end of the day.  Hopefully some stick around for another two weeks!




I drove along the St. Clair River early this morning.  Hardly any ducks to mention.  I spent some time at Guthrie Park, Corunna looking at the gulls.  About the same number (maybe more), but no white-winged gulls today!
I saw three Lesser Black-backed Gulls (adults) right away.  The adult Herring X Great Black-backed was indeed present, but nothing else stood out.




I went into Sarnia, but there was not much to see.  We need cold weather and some ice!



Another stop at Corunna on the way back south did not reveal anything different.  In fact, there were fewer gulls it seemed.  Around 3 p.m. is a good time to check, but I was not staying that long!


A stop at Moore Wildlife Management Area revealed a few birds, including a couple of expected Yellow-rumped Warblers.

It is just too 'quiet' for birds, but looking foreward to the Rondeau CBC tomorrow.....

No comments:

Post a Comment