Saturday, September 28, 2019

Algonquin Trails



This past week was my annual September week off.  I aimed for Algonquin Park on Sunday to start the trip.  Algonquin is my favourite destination in the near north.  I have been there between 15 and 20 times!
Yes, I have to mention the weather!  It left a lot to be desired as it rained (or drizzled) from London all the way up on the first day.  Although I had scheduled the trip a few months ago, the weather forecast looked fairly reasonable before I left.  As usual, the forecasts were wrong again!  I had to fight rain much of the time.
I made it to Huntsville in exactly five hours, which was good timing.  After a break, I headed straight to the old railway bed off Arowhon Road.  This is one of the best birding areas and is easily accessible.



Most of the walk was very quiet for birds, but on the way back about 600m from the car, I came across a large group of birds.  There was a good selection of  passerines, and I lucked out with Boreal Chickadees.  They are often difficult to photograph, but I tried.  They have been scarce in recent weeks according to other birders.


Find the Boreal Chickadee!


There was a good variety of warblers, and lots of some species.  I even spotted a late Scarlet Tanager at one point.


The birds were quickly moving and I could not ID many of them, let alone photograph them.

Lots of these guys


Before I made it to the car, it started pouring rain.  I headed towards the Mew Lake campground where I always stay.  It stopped enough for a walk on the old airfield.  Although it was gloomy, I saw three species of butterflies!  The standard American Coppers, a Monarch and a late Aphrodite Fritillary (or what was left of it).  The frit was approaching or at the late date.  A number of years ago I had the record late date here. Will have to check on the latest date.



The most common moth everywhere was Chain-dotted Geometer.



The weather cleared a bit later in the afternoon and I checked out the VC.  The Friends of Algonquin has established one of the best nature book stores around.  I held myself back from buying any more books though!

View of Sunday Creek Bog from VC balcony


While in the area, I walked Spruce Bog Boardwalk trail. It was quiet.  There were lots of darners of one species, but I have no idea which one.  Spreadwings included Spotted. (I did see Shadow Darners during the trip too).



Next morning I wanted to walk my favourite trail, the Mizzy Lake.  I should have waited to the next day since it was rain and drizzle the whole 11 km.  One just does not know what the weather will be anymore!
View at Mizzy Lake (in the drizzle)
I did come across a couple good pockets of passerines, including some latish warblers.  Attempting to take photos was near impossible in the weather (as you can see in the next photos), and in fact my camera stopped functioning due to the dampness.  I thought it was doomed, but after returning to the car, I put the heater on it full blast for half an hour.  It finally started working again.....phew!



One of the better warblers was a Northern Parula, which was close to record late.  A few years ago I found the record late parula on this trail.


I saw a few Black-and-white Warblers, getting close to record late.



On the old railway bed, there was a fleeting glimpse of a Black-backed Woodpecker.  I did get the lens on a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker just before my camera went for a #@%&.



I spent quite a bit of time in the car out of the rain after this trail.  Late in the afternoon the skies actually cleared and I took a long walk around the old airfield.  I found several more American Coppers, plus a Mourning Cloak.



I walked a bit down the bike trail (old railway).  Black Ducks are the common one here.


The night was clear and I could hear many passerines migrating overhead.  Most were thrushes.

Tuesday morning I first walked Spruce Bog trail.  I find it (at sunrise) the best time to find Spruce Grouse (before the tourists arrive), and this time was no exception.  I saw at least five birds.  Being so early morning, lighting was no good.




I had hoped to come across Canada Jay in my travels this day, but after checking all the spots I had them before, there was no luck.  They are always hit and miss.

I walked the Logging Museum trail, checked out Costello Creek picnic area, Beaver Pond Trail and Bat Lake Trail.  The best spot for birds was at Costello Creek.  Bat lake Trail was very quiet for birds where I have had good luck before, although I did spot a latish Cape May Warbler.
For whatever reason, I always take a photo of this tree that grows on a rock on this trail.



I walked the old airfield a couple of times again.  I always walk it just before sunset, which is a nice time....when the skies are clear!



I always hope to find something good there one of those times.  Say's Phoebe has been there twice.
Back at the end of September 2001, Burke Korol and I found a record early Bohemian Waxwing.  I only found Cedar Waxwings this trip!



Early Wednesday morning, I could hear a Barred Owl calling way off in the distance.  It was the day to leave, so I first took a quick check of the old airfield where I had the only two Pine Siskins of the trip flying over.
I then moved west to the old railway bed off Arowhon Road again.  It was a nice sunny morning but not many birds were out and about.  I got another fleeting glimpse of a Black-backed Woodpecker.
A co-operative Spruce Grouse was busy feeding on the trail.  I virtually walked right beside it!


There were lots of Black-throated Blue Warblers still around on many trails.




Next stop was Whiskey Rapids trail which has been good to me in the past.  It brings back memories since it was the trail we walked on a family trip back in 1976!

Oxtongue River


I did come across a couple of good pockets of warblers at some point.  Red Crossbills once again flew overhead.  I had these crooked-billed birds a various times flying over during the trip, but never have seen one perched!
A couple of Common Mergansers were on the river.

Common Merg on Whiskey Rapids


On the way out, I always stop at Tea Lake Dam and Western Uplands backpacking trail parking lot.  Both were quiet though, for birds.

Despite the wet weather at times, I saw a good variety of birds (except Canada Jays!) in Algonquin and it is always a pleasure to get up there.  Some of the specialites such as Spruce Grouse were nice to get.  I had no problem with those this time, but in the past I went many years in not seeing one!
Colours were almost at peak when I left.  It varies so much from year to year.



More on the rest of the trip (and more rain!) in the next post....

No comments:

Post a Comment