Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Cruising and Dancing on Civic Holiday

Monday I was bound and determined to see some odonates (dragonflies and damselflies), so I did quite a bit of driving.
As I always am an early riser, I first headed to Forest Lagoons before the odes were awake.  Every day is different and one never knows what will show up, so it is always worth a visit.
Unfortunately there were fewer shorebirds than last week and nothing new.  Now that we are in the "weekdays" something of interest will likely show!



A pair of American Wigeon has been there for some time, and Northern Shoveler nested there, along with Common Gallinule and Sora.



There were lots of Least and Semipalmated Sandpipers, but no Baird's as of yet.

Marsh Wrens nested there this summer.


The single male Ruddy Duck looked lonesome in the early morning sun.



After a good look there, I headed towards the Ausable River at the Sylvan bridge.  I knew that Swift River Cruisers were there and that was my target.  Although I have likely seen them before, I never really looked for them.
I had spent some time at Joany's Woods, which is right "next door" last week, but was disappointed in what I did not see.  The river bank in this area is very steep, and mostly a vertical drop in many places an difficult to access.  I managed to get to the river's edge without breaking my neck.

Soon after arrival, I spotted a couple of Swift River Cruisers going back and forth.  Of course, they never stopped, true to their nature, but after doing some camera adjustments (and some quick action)  I managed to get a "flight' photo of a couple.




Another on my target list this day was American Rubyspot.  I got a bonus here, as what I assume was a teneral one, was perched fairly close.  I was going to visit a place later on where I was guaranteed rubyspot.



I had planned to visit a friend in early afternoon, so there was still lots of time.  I went down to Florence, at the C-K/Lambton border where the Sydenham crosses Lambton Line.  Here is a well-known spot for odes.  The river is swift here and has some ripples due to rocks.

I first looked for American Rubyspots, of which I found many.






While there, I noticed some large dark dragons cruising the river.  More Swift River Cruisers!  I did not really expect them here, so in retrospect, I did not need to go to Sylvan.  However, the habitat is perfect for them here.



There were other dragonflies, one of which I think was an Arrow Clubtail, uncommon in these parts.  It is known at this location.  I did not get a photo, of course.

There were many dancers and damsels here.  One looked rather attractive, so I photographed it.



Later at home, I suspected it was Dusky Dancer, which is uncommon in Ontario and Canada and listed as imperiled.  Today it was confirmed.




Blue-fronted Dancer was here among others.




The ruby-spots also perched on an abundant plant here called Lizard's-Tail, which is described in Naturenuggets as rather uncommon. Abundant here, it can be seen in the background where I photographed a teneral rubyspot perched on a log.



In the afternoon I toured a private property near Brigden where we found Dukes' Skippers last year (a new location for Lambton).  This year, none were found!  Hopefully they reappear next year.

While there, we looked at a Honey Locust tree.  I never realized they has such large thorns on the trunk!





No comments:

Post a Comment