Saturday, July 6, 2019

North Lambton July 6

I decided to head north rather than south today in search of mainly insects, or whatever was to be found.
My first walk was at Ausable River Cut CA.  I had never been there this time of year.  Some of the dune areas along the river were interesting.



A Banded Hairstreak was nectaring on Common Milkweed.  The blue anal spot was slightly capped by red, which is a bit unusual.



A Wild Indigo Duskywing was nearby.



Odes included several common species.  Blue-fronted Dancer was one of the more attractive damsels.



A Pronghorn Clubtail was hanging about a wet area.



Birds included Pine Warblers and a Black-and-white Warbler plus more common species.

At Port Franks, I walked the L-Lake trail and into the NCC property.  Mosquitoes were horrendous here, so I did not linger in any given spot!
Some Silvery Checkerspots were at the start.



One of the more notable birds was a singing Black-throated Blue Warbler.  Some are this far south in the breeding season.  It remained out of range for the camera though.
Hooded Warbler was also singing as usual.

After being chased out by mosquitoes, I moved over to Ipperwash Forested Dunes and Swales.  I wanted to walk the Cedar trail which skirts the wetland area in search of dragonflies.



 There was quite a variety of odes.  I half expected Spadderdock Darner as the habitat was good, but I did not see any.

Several Slaty Skimmers were around.




I encountered a few Racket-tailed Emeralds, but not as many as the last visit.




Butterflies included a number of Monarchs, which seem to be plentiful this week.  I managed to find a single Roadside Skipper, trailside, but not along the roadside.



This one I thought was a Crossline Skipper.



There was not much in the way of birds, but that was not my focus.  The usual Black-and-white Warbler was singing away, and several Pine Warblers were throughout.  I saw one carrying food at one point.





Dead man's Fingers at Port Franks

No comments:

Post a Comment