Saturday, February 16, 2019

Waterfowl Wanderings

I was due for some birding in Essex County, so that is where I went today!  My first stop was Point Pelee National Park (remember, you can renew your annual pass for a discount this month!).
Just before getting into the park, three Sandhill Cranes caught my eye on concession D. Obviously spring migrants.



As expected, the park was very quiet for birds, as it has been most of the winter.  I walked Shuster, Tilden's and Cactus Trails.  A few White-throated Sparrows were kicking around, but nothing of note.

I wanted to check Jack Miner Bird Sanctuary as well today, so that was the next stop.  Upon arrival, local birder Jeremy L. Hatt was already scanning the geese.  We had a nice chat about various things, and while there, five Ross's Geese appeared for us.





They continuously circled around, unsure of what to do.  Two of them briefly landed, but then they started circling again.  Apparently, they did come back later for other birders to see.


Hybrids have been increasing in recent years, but these seemed good for Ross's.
I had this species on my mind today, especially when four were reported on Rondeau Bay earlier this morning!

Geese


At least 36 Greater White-fronted Geese were there at Miner's as well.



The "white-fronts" are common this time of year anymore.  Hundreds have been reported in the province in the last ten days or so.



Needless to say, a few Cackling Geese were in the mix today. They are expected this time of year also.  They are easier to pick out in flight.  Higher-pitched calls are quite obvious.



Some Common Redpolls have been reported farther west at the intersection of Concession Road 9 and Coulter Sideroad.  This species is rather difficult to find in Essex County even in invasion winters.  I got directions from Jeremy, so I went that way and found the redpolls right away.  No photo attempts.

I headed back towards home via Comber (no blackbirds!) and along the Thames up to St. Clair NWA.  I did see a Great Blue Heron west of Jeannette's Creek, so some are still around.

I walked the dike at the NWA to the tower and observed lots of Tundra Swans, Canada Geese and a handful of ducks.  Also see were two Greater White-fronted Geese and two Snow Geese from the tower.




I decided to head down Balmoral Line later to get a better view.  It was a good choice as I could see more things.  Included were nine Snow Geese in total, an American Coot, a Ruddy Duck and about 18 Northern Shovelers in a tight group.  The shovelers must be spring migrants as that number had not been around since at least New Year's.
No doubt more things were there, but I did not spend too much time looking.



On the way home, a Snowy Owl was perched along Marsh Line.



The Meadowvale Snowy Owl south of Wallaceburg was also showing nicely as I headed out first thing this morning. At least three are regular in the Wallaceburg vicinity this winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment