Tuesday, January 22, 2019

January Junk

(Could not think of a good title!)

Ice has packed the St. Clair River with a vengeance this week.  It was packed solid already by  Monday morning.



It even jammed somewhere in the St. Clair flats causing the already high water levels to increase at Port Lambton.  It was down a bit by Monday evening.



Ships were moving slowly in the packed ice as large flocks of Redheads and other ducks flew overhead in search of open water.  The Wilfred Sykes was upbound at Port Lambton early this afternoon.  It is a ship we do not often see in this neck of the Great Lakes.



It was built in 1949, and was the first ship in the "modern" style.  The ships in this fleet have a nice paint scheme.



Sunday evening I watched the lunar eclipse.  I only got a quick shot of the initial stages of the earth's shadow on the moon.  It eventually turned to a blood red at full eclipse around midnight.




This morning, a friend stopped by the shop to let me know that Sandhill Cranes were just down the road beside Stewart Wetland.  I had been watching recently for them in hopes they were still kicking around, but my timing was all off.  I took a quick jaunt down the road to check them out!



Obviously this is the same group I last saw on the Wallaceburg CBC!  I think this is the first time I have seen the returning flock in January.  They come from Michigan each day, then head back!



I have been working on a 37' (1957) Chris Craft doing one of my favourite things....planking and woodwork!  It is a local boat that was in dire need of attention.






No comments:

Post a Comment