Monday, December 24, 2018

Pre-Christmas Birding

Saturday I checked out Rondeau Park and it was slow as one would expect.  Even slower than average for this time of year!
I decided to start with a lakewatch at dog beach.  White-winged Scoters seemed to be the most numerous duck.  A single Red-throated Loon was circling around, and obviously the bulk of those loons had departed earlier in the week.  It was a record fall for Red-throated, as obviously they have changed their migration routes in recent times.

There was a nice flock of birds at maintenance, but the White-eyed Vireo was absent.  For some reason I can never find it, but others find it right away!  There was a good mix of birds.

Scarce this year!
The Great Kiskadee is long gone.  One showed up in Indiana recently.  One wonders if it is our bird given the rarity!  I would suspect it is.

I also checked McGeachy Pond dike and the rail trail, but things were quiet.  A few White-winged Scoters and a single Black Scoter were swimming with Greater Scaup on the lake.

Sunday I was due for a trip to Point Pelee.  I needed to go to Pelee Wings anyway, but I roamed around the park first thing.
I started at the Tip.  There is a nice sandpit, the longest I have seen in years, where gulls were congregating.





Nothing of note appeared though.  Not even a Red-throated Loon, where there were well over an unbelievable 400 on Monday!  What is with these loons this year?  Red-throated is common this year, while Common is uncommon.

The 80', three-tiered viewing tower is not complete yet.  An impressive structure indeed!



Shuster trail was very quiet, unusual it seemed.  Usually this is one of the better trails this time of year.
The shoreline at the end of the trail has had considerable erosion. Back in September, this concrete foundation was visible (never knew it was there!).


It is now covered with sand again, but that big tree is still there.

De Laurier was quiet as well, so I left!

I stopped for a short walk at Hillman Marsh.  Often I come up with a Marsh Wren this time of year, but that never happened either.

Some Snowy Owls, waiting for January 1, were south of Mitchell's Bay on the way home.



Today, Monday, I checked the St. Clair River and Sarnia.  It is not like the old days, as very few ducks and waterbirds are around.  Times have changed (probably due to the weather patterns).

A Common Loon was in the north slip at Sarnia, standard for this time of year, so it seems.



I wanted to do one walk, so I stopped by Perch Creek Habitat.  A drowsy Northern Saw-whet Owl was in a usual location.



Otherwise, it was par for the course....very few birds.



Upcoming Christmas Bird Counts in the area include Wallaceburg December 27, Skunk's Misery December 30, and St. Clair NWA January 1.  Hope there are some birds to be found on these counts!

Sunset at Walpole Island

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment