Saturday, December 8, 2018

Kiskadee Hunting at Rondeau Park

I headed down to Rondeau Park early this morning.  Before it was even light, there were some birders already poised to listen for the Great Kiskadee at the maintenance compound area.  We stood there for a long time, but it never showed.
Although we all had seen the mega rarity several times before, it is now winter and an incredible bird to see this time of year.  We can only hope it is seen on December 16, the day of the Christmas Bird Count!  It is here for the duration, just a matter if it survives.

Mega rare today, was the weather.  It was clear and sunny all day, and it was a Saturday!  I enjoyed the sun, as I walked around looking for birds.

While in the maintenance area, I looked for the White-eyed Vireo, a late record for Rondeau.  I found it along the maintenance fence, but lighting was horrible.  I could never get a handle on it for a good photo.




After the Kiskadee no-show, Jim Burk and I walked the campground.  There were a number of birds a the north end, but nothing unusual. 

One of at least 2 Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers in campground

This week, a Baltimore Oriole was lurking around, a bird I had hoped to see today.  I had never seen one in December.  It did not show today though.

Towards the south end of the campground, Jim and I heard the familiar call of the Kiskadee.  We walked towards it and I eventually found it soaking up the sunshine.



Others were not far away, and soon all present got to see the rarity.



It soon flew towards the maintenance area again out of sight.

After a look in the cottage area at the north end of the park, we parted ways.  I headed down to dog beach to take a gander at the lake.  I noticed a few Red-throated Loons swimming far out, so I dragged out the old scope.  I counted an impressive 33, an excellent number for this time of year.



After that, I headed back to the campground and maintenance area for another look.  Nothing new.

White-throated Sparrow


After wearing out Rondeau Park, I headed over to Erieau to check McGeachy Pond and the rail trail.  Things were rather quiet in that area.  Hopefully things will pick up for the CBC.

Bald Eagle

No comments:

Post a Comment