Sunday, October 28, 2018

Usual Weekend Birding (October 27-28)

Lately I have been sticking to Rondeau area for birding, and this weekend was no exception.  Also the same was the weather.  It is getting ridiculous to say this every weekend, but right on cue, the weather turned crappy late Friday (after a nice week) for the weekend.  Saturday was horrible but I went out anyway with no other choice.  This year is certainly one for the record books with regards to (terrible) weekend weather!

I started watching the lake at Rondeau even though the weather was horrid.  There was a strong east wind, but not much was moving in that crap.  I did spot a young Little Gull as a highlight.  I find these direct strong east winds produce little at Rondeau.
I then moved on to south point where it actually stopped raining. I walked to the washout, then it started raining again since I was at the farthest point from the car.
Some birds were near the end of the trail since it was out of the wind.  Many species of sparrows were along the path.


chippie


Warblers including the usual Yellow-rumped and an Orange-crowned and a couple of Blackpoll.

I checked around the VC and found a Blue-headed Vireo, the only vireo of the weekend.
Along Harrison near pony barn were several Fox Sparrows.

Later, I stopped by Shrewsbury where there were several shorebirds along the edge, including a couple of White-rumped and some Dunlin.

Dunlin

Bashful White-rumped Sandpiper


Several ducks and grebes were close as well.

Pied-billed Grebe

Horned Grebe


I did a quick check of Erieau, where there was little to see (east winds!), then moved on up to Blenheim Lagoons where I had heard that there were many shorebirds.  There is good edge habitat for the shorebirds.
There was still a light rain, but there was no choice but to take a look under terrible conditions.  Steve and Jim were already there looking at an odd peep.  It had us stumped, but it turned out to be a Least Sandpiper in a plumage we rarely see.



Apparently there was a similar one at Presqu'ile a number of years ago, that had some thinking of some type of Stint.

There were hundreds of shorebirds at the lagoons, the most I have seen in a long time.  The bulk were Dunlin, but there were lots of Pectoral Sandpipers, many White-rumped, an injured Baird's, a couple of late Semipalmated Sandpipers, both yellowlegs, and of course the Hudsonian Godwits.

Pec

Add caption




The godwits had grown to number five in total!  Unusual to see that many in the Rondeau birding area at one time.  (the one was still at McLean's as well)

hudwits


Two large swans appeared there recently which were Trumpeters, uncommon for the area.



Sunday was a better day weatherwise, and even the sun was out briefly in the morning for a rare weekend showing.  Mid afternoon it started raining again though, just as I left Blenheim lagoons.

I started at dog beach for a lakewatch with Steve and Jim.  There were lots of ducks and loons moving.  I counted at least 122 Common Loons, with a few Red-throated.  No doubt some were missed.  We still  cannot get a definite Pacific for the Rondeau area!

Jim and I walked south point and found some things including a couple of Orange-crowned Warblers, a Common Yellowthroat, and about three tardy Blackpoll Warblers.

Blackpoll Warbler


While alone, I came across a late Black-throated Green Warbler that posed well.



Most of the birds were along the lake before the 'washout'.

Near the light beacon we spotted a bird in flight that was possibly an Evening Grosbeak.  A couple were spotted in the area last week, but I have no doubt more will show.

Bald Eagle


Another stop at the lagoons was in order today.  I was alone for this one, although I did briefly spot a Leamington birder in the distance.  lol.
I found there were fewer birds today, but still lots.  The godwits were still busy feeding.




Several White-rumped, the Least, a couple of Semisands were still present, but I did not spot the Baird's.





The Trumpeter Swans were still in the same sleeping position.



Habitat is excellent at Blenheim right now, so that is attracting many shorebirds.

Back to nice weather for the week.....

Weekday Dawn at Walpole Island

No comments:

Post a Comment