Saturday, October 20, 2018

Spooktacular Birding Rondeau Area

As Halloween fast approaches, Rondeau and area was a decent choice for birding today.  Lots of birds and birders were out and about.  There were more birders than usual, since remarkably, the Great Kiskadee came back from an extended vacation!
I started with a lakewatch at dog beach, then checked out south point trail.  I then went over to Keith McLean CA along with Larry Cornelis and Steve Charbonneau to check for Nelson's Sparrows.

This blog is not complete without mentioning the weather.  Today turned out quite nice (despite the forecast) for the morning at least.  The afternoon was saw some incoming storms, and at one point I was almost looking for funnel clouds.  I got some good birding in before the weather turned nasty.

Tree down at Rondeau


Winds were not ideal for a lakewatch at dog beach, but I did one anyway since I cannot get there  during the week when weather is better.

Dawn at Dog Beach


Lots of ducks were moving, but nothing of note.  Just before I left the beach, a Great Blue Heron came in.



South point trail was fairly good with birds.  There were lots of Blackpoll Warblers, a couple of Tennessee, a couple of Nashville and some Palm besides the staple Yellow-rumped Warblers.


Blackpoll eating dogwood berries


Several Eastern Bluebirds had finally come in--the first I have seen since I do not know when!

I met up with Larry and Steve on south point and the next stop was McLean's.  Many other birders were on the loose there, and it did not take long to find some Nelson's Sparrows.




It was a lifer for Larry so he was happy.  He previously saw the Great Kiskadee for the first time as well.

A single Hudsonian Godwit was present and continuing, but distant.



The "hudwits" have made a good showing this fall.  Today, there were three at Blenheim Lagoons.  I was going to go in there, but a rather nasty storm was approaching.  Some years we do not see any, but several have been around lately.

I went back into Rondeau to look for more birds around the maintenance area.  I added a few species for the day.
Nearby, I went to look for the Great Kiskadee and saw it right away.  It was calling loudly and sat out for a bit.




I next headed over to Erieau and walked the rail trail.  It was a short walk as another rain storm came in.  As I approached the car, the winds really picked up making for some tense moments.
There was not much to see at Erieau pier.  I guess the winds were too strong and not in the right direction.

After the rain ended, I walked McGeachy to find a few more birds.  The Snow Goose was again in the pond, but no Ross's which was seen a couple of days ago.

On the way home, I passed by the lagoons.  A couple of birders were on the property when the storm hit, and were apparently marooned for some time. It was quite nasty as I headed up Communications Road with lots of hail and hard rain.

It was a decent day for birding, and we will see what tomorrow brings.

American Coots at McLean CA

No comments:

Post a Comment