Saturday, September 22, 2018

Birds a-plenty at Rondeau Park

Today I checked out Rondeau Park, knowing there should be a good number of migrants with the change in weather. It turned out to be one of the better fall days in recent times!
I started at dog beach with a lakewatch.  The wind was not quite ideal, but there were lots of gulls--nothing of note.  Some Surf Scoters went by as well as other ducks.

I moved down to south point trail and started off with a bang.  Warblers were streaming through by the dozens!  Some were down low where I could get looks at them, but many were high and remained unidentified.
Many were like this....



At times it was somewhat overwhelming as one could not look at everything.  Northern Parulas were plentiful (I saw around 15).



I came across a couple of Connecticut Warblers as well.




A late September Yellow Warbler was near the light beacon.



There were lots of warblers to see along the trail.



At the "washout", I spotted a grebe on the water, somewhat distant.  Just as I was focusing on it, it took flight to reveal itself as a Red-necked.

There were not many vireos, but a few Philadelphia were seen on the way back.




I stopped by maintenance and another large group of passerines was at the corner.  Again, it was overwhelming at times.



Bay-breasted Butt


There were no thrushes at all on south point, but a few were around maintenance including Gray-cheeked, Swainson's and a single Hermit.

Although no "megas" were seen, it was nice to see so many birds for a change.






I stopped by Blenheim Lagoons on the way home and noticed that there is getting to be better edge around a couple of the ponds. 
Lots of Least Sandpipers and Pectoral Sandpipers were present, plus a Short-billed Dowitcher.



A couple of Solitary Sandpipers were in view as well.



Next weekend is the OFO conference at Point Pelee, which I am looking forward to.  On the Sunday, I will be leading the field trip at Rondeau, with assistance from Steve Charbonneau and Donald Pye.  Hopefully we will have a similar day!

Bronze Copper at Blenheim


No comments:

Post a Comment