Friday, August 3, 2018

Mid Summer Rambles

Last Saturday I visited several spots, starting with Forest Lagoons.  Forest is the "go-to" place in the area for shorebirds, although Bright's Grove has some habitat as well.



I spent quite a bit of time there just seeing common migrants.  A number of Semipalmated Plovers were present.



The birds are not all that close, but a scope is essential.



I then headed south to Skunk's Misery.  Things are rather quiet now as one would expect, but I did find several Hooded Warblers.  One was even singing.
Nearby Wardsville Woods was on the agenda as well.  I like checking it out for butterflies this time of year.

Red-spotted Purple

not a butterfly!


I have been looking more at moths of late.  There are lots out there when you get looking!  I have no idea what this one is:


There is the demonstration plot for prairie flowers.


Cylindrical Blazing Star

The little pond at the back is worth checking.  There is a single Cardinal Flower that grows there each year.



After Wardsville, I thought I might as well check Blenheim lagoons.  There were lots of shorebirds (150+) in the sprinklers cells, but most were Semipalmated Sandpipers.  I tried for Western, but not even a Baird's was amongst them.  It was about a year ago we had a Western at Blenheim.



This week I took some late day walks locally.  Dukes' Skippers are still kicking around at Reid not wanting to get into focus.



Today I found a few as well, but they are getting worn.



I even found a very worn hairstreak which appears to be Banded.  Possibly the latest I have had at Reid.



Giant Swallowtails are having a good summer in SW Ontario.


Some other butterflies were out and about.

Question Mark

Great Spangled Fritillary
I did see one Broad-winged Skipper in the sedges, rather distant.

Monkey Flower


2 comments:

  1. I wasn't thinking of traveling to skunk's misery to look for Hooded Warblers as I have yet to see them. Are there any parts of the woods where I would have a better chance of seeing them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually listen for them along Sassafras Road and Centreville Drive. There are trails to walk back in. This time of year they are fairly silent and will be departing south very soon.

      Delete