Friday, June 8, 2018

Getting Dusted at Pinery and some Racket (tailed) at Ipperwash

I took today off and went up to Pinery and Ipperwash to beat the weekend.  It was an enjoyable day with excellent weather--something we almost never see on on a weekend.  As usual, the forecast did not look good for Saturday (what is new?).

Before going into Pinery, I checked out Klondyke Road where there is some good grassland and pastures.  Some time ago, a Dickcissel was found here, and it was still singing away this morning.






Other grassland species included Bobolink, Eastern Meadowlark, Grasshopper Sparrow, etc.

In Pinery Provincial Park, I started at Riverside Trail which was always one of my favourite trails in the past.  It was a bit quiet today, but highlight there was a late Olive-sided Flycatcher working the snags along the river.  This spot it almost guaranteed the flycatcher during migration.

My next walk was Wilderness Trail.  Several Pine Warblers and Ovenbirds were singing all along.  In past years, I used to get Prairie Warbler in the first dune ridge along the beach, but not since the 1990's.  Prairie Warblers have returned to Pinery in recent years, and this year is no exception.  However, I did not find any today.  Perhaps I was not in the right spot at the right time?
The only semi-notable warbler today on Wilderness was a singing Blackburnian.
This trail has yielded Hermit Thrush in breeding season in the past, uncommon this far south.

After checking the beach areas, including P9 where the Prairie Warbler were seen, my next walk was Cedar Trail near the VC.  A few butterflies were visible, including Dusted Skippers at the hydro line corridor on the extension trail.  The Dusted Skipper is very rare for Ontario, but only found in the Pinery/Ipperwash area.





A Yellow-rumped Warbler was singing at this location.

Some Juvenal's Duskywings were still flying along the trail.




Next walk was Carolinian Trail at the south end of the park.  Just as I was getting out of the car, a Pine Siskin flew over.  They are occasionally found this time of year in the park.

Highlight for birds on the trail, was a singing Cerulean Warbler near the pond.  No Hooded this year!

Numerous Northern Cloudywings were along the trail.  Most I have seen!



I tried to find Southern Cloudywing, but they all seemed to be of the northern variety.



I may have had Common Roadside Skipper at one point too.

Dragonflies at the pond included Chalk-fronted Corporal and Dot-tailed Whiteface among others.

Nipissing Trail is another favourite of mine.  It is good for both butterflies and birds.  At one point I came across a tiny Columbine Duskywing, but it never settled any length of time for a photo.

At the end of the trail, was a Blue-winged Warbler.  The odd song (almost Golden-winged like) caught my attention at first.  However, good looks were obtained it appeared to be a Blue-winged.

It was early afternoon by this time, and after a bit of relaxation beside the Ausable River, I headed over to Ipperwash to check out the Dunes and Swales trail.
It was quiet for birds at this time, but I was more interested in insects.  I did come across what was possibly a Beaver Pond Baskettail, but the most numerous dragonfly was Racket-tailed Emerald.  I had this species as a target today, and I was not disappointed.





They are rather uncommon in Lambton, but indeed common at Ipperwash.


A pair of Aurora Damsels caught my attention along the trail at one point.



Birds included a Black-and-White Warbler right at the start, a couple of Pine Warblers and a Magnolia, which is uncommon, but somewhat regular in the area at this time of year.
There seems to be no Acadian Flycatcher here this year.  A swampy area with hemlocks is where it is usually found.

At the end of the the walk, I came across a Dreamy Duskywing to cap off the day.


It was time to head for home, as I was tired from all the walking.  (Somehow, I do not seem to be as young as I used to be!).

Pink Mocassin Orchid


No comments:

Post a Comment