Friday, April 13, 2018

Recent Migrants and Lingerers

A number of birds came in this week with the warmth, but as this bizarre weather continues, migration is still a bit slow.  Apparently it will be even more bizarre this weekend as the usual yearly trend begins (decent during the week, crappy on weekends with prevailing east winds).

A couple of days ago I ventured out to Mitchell's Bay to walk the south shore trail.  There was quite a bit of activity (mostly waterfowl).  A lingering Snowy Owl  was in the adjacent field, while remnants of the iceberg were still out in the Bay.

I saw my first Forster's Terns of the year while there.  The over-abundance of Mute Swans is still in the area.


View from the dock

Just down Angler Line, there were thousands of waterfowl in the corn field.  A large number were Northern Pintail, with lots of Green-winged Teal and other ducks mixed in.





It was a tad early to see Yellow-headed Blackbirds, but they will be here very soon if not already.

Yesterday evening I walked Peers Wetland nearby home.  There were quite a few birds, including the first Yellow-rumped Warblers of the spring.  I saw at least ten!



A number of other birds were present, including a Wilson's Snipe and the first Northern Rough-winged Swallow. I had no camera as I was just out for a leisurely walk.  (just the cell phone).



This morning seemed rather quiet at Port Lambton, so I drove up to Sombra before work.  I rarely do that, but something must have encouraged me to do so!  I stopped at the McKeough outlet to take a look where a Common Loon was swimming.
I noticed a large all-white gull in the distance, so I moved up to the little park at the south end of Sombra.  It was a Glaucous Gull of course.  A few ducks were swimming near the shoreline and I noticed an odd one.  It turned out to be the young male King Eider!

I had no idea it was still around.  Given the rarity here, I assume it was the same one first found at Corunna during the winter.




We will see what happens this weekend in the typical weekend weather.

Tecumseh


No comments:

Post a Comment