Thursday, February 15, 2018

Mid February Observations

Not much has been happening on my end recently.  The weather has been the big factor as I was not able to much last weekend.  It was one of the more ridiculous weather events I have ever seen right from Friday through Sunday!  And, just like clockwork, Monday dawned calm, clear and sunny.

Today was very dense fog due to the mild temperatures.  We will be seeing some spring migrants in the next few days no doubt.

I did get out briefly on Sunday, but the freezing rain drove me back to the house.  Once again I got up to Corunna to look at birds on the river.  I still was not able to pull in anywhere except at Shell.


Note Mallard X Black at right


There were more gulls on Sunday.




Bald Eagles were quite numerous.  I started off with 12 at the Port Lambton riverfront, and many more along the way up to Corunna.



Lots of ducks to sort through.  Something seemed odd about this scaup as the colour of the head and the tip of the bill suggested some Redhead genes.  Perhaps it was only the wacky weather putting me off!




The last couple of days I was able to sit at the Port Lambton riverfront. Some open water is on the Michigan side were some ducks and gulls are active.  There is so much ice this year, it will be sticking around a long time.  Hopefully we will not get much rain with the mild weather as the water levels are too high already. 



This weekend is the annual Great Backyard Bird Count for those interested in the event.  You can submit bird sightings online through the website to be included in the GBBC via eBird.
http://gbbc.birdcount.org/

This weekend looks fairly good weatherwise...boy do we deserve it!!



No comments:

Post a Comment