Saturday, January 27, 2018

Sarnia Speckle-Bellies and More

Under cloudy skies, I headed out to the St. Clair River this morning.  I wanted to check out the river and Sarnia area.  One of my hopeful goals to day was to see Greater White-fronted Geese, as some have been reported in southern Ontario recently.  As I left Port Lambton, I received a text that some were in Sarnia!
I continued on looking at ducks and the few gulls along the river.  Most of the ice has cleared out of the river due to the recent mild temperatures, so gulls were not numerous.

This duo eventually got into a tussle!



Ducks were spread out all along.  A White-winged Scoter was off Cathcart Park.  This species has been scarce this winter in our area compared to past winters.  Long-tailed Ducks are in big numbers this winter all along the river.  Yesterday morning I saw over 1500 pass Port Lambton in a short period of time!  A few years ago we had up to 36,000 in the Sarnia area--an unprecedented number.  This duck certainly has increased in numbers quite dramatically in recent years.

At Sarnia Bay, there was quite a bit to sort through, but not like a couple of weeks ago.

Add caption


I saw at least 16 Glaucous Gulls and a couple of Iceland Gulls.






Also of note was a Lesser Black-backed Gull which stood out with its sooty head.




A handsome male Wood Duck has been hanging around the Sarnia waterfront all winter.




There have been up to two off and on and when the Bay froze over a few weeks ago, they moved Stateside.  However, at least one still hangs out with Mallards.



I headed towards the east end of Sarnia in hopes of finding some geese.  Just as I passed Wawanosh Wetlands driveway, I received a text from Quinten Wiegersma that he and the Nature London group had 35 Greater White-fronted Geese fly over Wawanosh.  That was quite a coincidence, but I never saw them!
I quickly checked Hiawatha Horse Park to no avail, then the fields north of Wawanosh.  On a hunch, I went over to Blackwell Trails south pond where waterfowl often hangs out.
Bingo!




No doubt that same flock set down here, as I counted 34.




Mission accomplished.

I went back to Sarnia Bay and spent some time there again.  Some other ducks had moved in including one or two Ring-necked.  Most of the Glaucous Gulls were still present.

There, I happened to meet up with Bev and Dennis Rock from London, faithful readers of this blog.

I headed back downriver and cut inland, not seeing much of note.  I stopped by Moore WMA which was still flooded due to the recent rain and runoff.  Unfortunately one cannot go far.  As I often mention, it is a great place for a winter walk where many birds can be seen.  No sign of the Yellow-rumped Warblers today.

Sunday looks to be sunny, so I will head to a different place!

3 comments:

  1. Speckle-bellies used to be quite the rarity in southwestern Ontario....not so much any more, it seems. When is the Pink-footed going to show up???

    ReplyDelete