Sunday, December 24, 2017

Sarnia Area Christmas Birding

This morning was unusually nice, I guess it was the calm before the storm!  I headed out to the St. Clair River and up to Sarnia to see what was lurking about.  There was nothing really new, but viewing conditions were good.
I did not see much until I got to Mooretown where there was an impressive number of Long-tailed Ducks.  About 800 were seen from the Mooretown dock.
At the head of Stag Island, a couple of White-winged Scoters were milling about, and another good number of Long-tailed Ducks.
A lingering Double-crested Cormorant was off Talfourd Creek.  This seems to be an annual winter occurrence here.



Sarnia Bay, Harbour, and the North Slip held a good number of gulls and ducks.  Some Glaucous and a couple of Iceland Gulls were mixed in.





As well, a Lesser Black-backed Gull stood out in the government wharf area.






At the north slip (so-called as it is where some lake ships moor for the winter), a couple of Common Loons were swimming around.



A lingering Pied-billed Grebe was looking lonely there.  I was looking through a fence, so it was difficult to get a photo.





I took a quick look at the lookout on Lake Huron, where there were perhaps 2000+ Long-tailed Ducks.  There were also several thousand Redhead farther out.

I went back to Sarnia Bay and found that more gulls had come in.  As the day wears on, it seems that gull numbers build up each day.




I headed inland and made one final stop at Moore Wildlife Management Area on Bickford Line.  There were quite a few usual wintering birds, including a Yellow-rumped Warbler.  I only heard it as the "flock" was heading farther away.  The river was not cross-able since the water was high.  This location usually has wintering Yellow-rumped Warblers.

That was it, and by the time I got home, the snow had started.  It has not stopped yet at the time of this writing!



No comments:

Post a Comment