Friday, December 22, 2017

Goose on the Loose

Obviously things were on the move today.  Near my workplace, I was informed of 4 Ross's Geese on the Snye.  They were likely there when I went by much earlier when it was rather dark!  There was indeed a bunch of geese on the Snye at that time.
Steve and Aaron Charbonneau stopped by the shop this morning to tell me about the geese.  After they left, I went down the road to see the four Ross's in a cornfield at Dalrae Orchards.
Record photos:




During the lunch hour, I heard a large flock of geese going over the shop, so I rushed out the door and saw the four Ross's trailing the Canada's!

A bit earlier I got a text from Steve about 9 Snow and 2 Greater White-fronted along Holt Line south of Sombra.  After I left work, I went up there but they were gone.  Ironically, I turned down Ward Line to go up Baseline Road.  I must have missed the flock by a hare (hair?) as Scott Connop reported them there just after that.  Oh well.

Some Ross's Geese were along Lake Erie as well.  Jim Burk reported 3 at Erieau, and apparently 21 were at Jack Miner's today.
Obviously geese were on the loose today!

There seemed to be quite a few ducks along the river today--more than I have seen previously.  Viewing conditions were good though with no wind.
Two White-winged Scoters were off Fawn Island when I stopped by there.
There were lots of Long-tailed Ducks on the river today.

Many Pied-billed Grebes are still on the Snye, as I have seen several this week.  Another was just south of Bluewater Conference this afternoon.  If they stick around till Wednesday, we should have a good count on the local CBC.
And Ross's Goose would be a new one for the Wallaceburg CBC if the species shows up on Wednesday!

Merry Christmas all.



2 comments: