Sunday, November 12, 2017

Some Point Pelee Birding

For a change in scenery, I went down to Point Pelee today.  I had not been there in some time for various reasons, so I was due.  It was a calm day, but drizzly and dreary, just like many weekend days!
I started with a Tip Watch, and had the whole place to myself.  There was no wind, but there was a fair bit of activity and visibility was good.



Several loons were in view, all swimming.  They were not flying today.



At least five Red-throated Loons were swimming well off the SW side of the Tip.  Yet again, I could not find a Pacific Loon.  I studied all the loons well for the two hours I was there, but certainly no Pacific Loon was around.



A good number of Horned Grebes were around numbering close to fifty.

Lots of ducks were moving, and of course the most common was Red-breasted Merganser.



Early on, this little buteo perched at the Tip.



I later walked up to Sparrow Field along the beach.  There was a nice raft of about 65 scoters on the lake.  Most seemed to be Surf, but there was a good number of White-winged and a few Black.

Next walk was Shuster Trail.  There was not too much of note there.

De Laurier had some birds including several White-throated Sparrows.  An Eastern Phoebe was singing at the back.  Two Sandhill Cranes flew over.

Here is a link to my eBird list for Point Pelee:
http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S40465501

On the way out, I noticed the Cattle Egret along Concession E.  It was a bit distant for any good photo.



I walked a bit of Hillman Marsh.  A pure flock of 9 Eastern Meadowlarks was interesting at the shorebird cell.



I found a Marsh Wren in a spot that I often find them in the early winter.



There were lots of ducks at Hillman, but I did not get the scope out.  Many were Gadwall.

Nearer home, Tundra Swans were obviously on the move.  There were a few thousand out in the fields near St. Clair NWA.

The sun will be out again tomorrow....



No comments:

Post a Comment