Saturday, September 9, 2017

Pointe aux Pins Passerines

Birding was excellent at Rondeau Park (Pointe aux Pins) this morning.  Many warblers and vireos were flitting about and Swainson's Thrushes littered the trails.
I spent 2.5h on south point trail.  In some locations I could stand in one spot for a lengthy period of time sorting through the birds.

Cape May Warbler

Northern Parula

Black-throated Blue Warbler


Philadelphia Vireos were numerous--my favourite vireo.




At one point a multitude of Swainson's Thrushes was busily working a Sassafras tree.  It was almost like a feeding frenzy!  I could not get any decent photos of them though.

Sassafras Fruit



There were several Northern Parulas during the morning. I find these one of the 'prettier' warblers.






Some raptors were moving today, and some were perched.

Turkey Vulture (juv)

Kestrel

Broad-winged Hawk
Along Harrison Trail south of the pony barn, there was another good pocket of birds.

I stopped by Blenheim Lagoons as well, but the place was basically dead.  I won't be going there anytime again soon!  (Unless someone reports something of note).

Red-headed Woodpecker (imm.)


No comments:

Post a Comment