Sunday, August 27, 2017

Recent Odds 'N Sods

Saturday I decided to check the shore trail at Mitchell's Bay early in the morning.  It is a good spot for early morning as the sun is at your side.  There were a few warblers and vireos along the trail as well as flycatchers (one Olive-sided).

Yellow Warbler

It is a good place for heron types.

Green Heron


I went on to Point Pelee to walk Ander's Footpath and the Cactus Trail.  A few more warblers were flitting about.  Another Chestnut-sided Warbler was photogenic.



There were quite a few flycatchers, mostly Eastern Wood Peewees, especially at the Cactus Trail.  I was interested in trying to find the recently reported Tufted Titmouse.  After a half hour there, I almost gave up, but I then heard it.  It was a bit distant though for a respectable photo.



For whatever reason, a Tufted Titmouse is rare in Point Pelee.  I have seen them in the park on three occasions in the past though.  Black-capped Chickadees are not all that common either.  I did come across a couple on this trip.
This little skink made an appearance at De Laurier.



Out along the onion fields, I looked for Buff-breasted Sandpiper to no avail.  Rick Mayos and Jeremy Hatt were also looking, but came up empty.  There will be more to come!



Today was rather gloomy, even though it was not supposed to be.  I did not go far.  Among other local places, I spent some time at Peers Wetland.  It was rather quiet, but a family of 5 Cooper's Hawks did not help matters!




The only warblers were a pair of American Redstarts and a Chestnut-sided Warbler.
Three Great Egrets were present, but have been off and on all summer.


Some dragonflies included a Lance-tipped Darner.  They are one of the more common darners, especially this time of year.



Around the yard, some birds are moving through.  A short while ago, I heard a Black-capped Chickadee, which is very odd for here in summer.
I have been watching the garden and a good variety of butterflies have stopped by.  Yesterday a Common Sootywing briefly hesitated. I think it is a first for the yard.
The last few days I have been seeing a Common Checkered-Skipper.



Peck's Skippers have been around as well.



It is back to work tomorrow, as the summer wanes.



No comments:

Post a Comment