Saturday, May 20, 2017

Saturday Post-May 20

I headed down to Rondeau Park this morning.  Usually on the holiday weekend there are lots of birds around and good variety.  Today was no exception.

Several FOY birds were listed since my last visit last Sunday.  Alder Flycatchers are numerous by this date, and several were singing along south point trail this morning.  A couple of Acadian Flycatchers are around in some usual haunts.
Olive-sided Flycatchers, one of my favourite, were reported but they eluded me today.

Tennessee Warblers were plentiful today, most being identified by their loud and quick song.
Some Mourning Warblers were around, including this one on south point trail.



Wilson's Warblers and Canada Warblers were singing in the low shrubbery as they always do.



Sometimes difficult to get a decent photo!


Lots of Semipalmated Plovers are around at this time.


Cedar Waxwings are plentiful at this time.



This time of year, I always look for Showy Orchis in the park.  I found one plant in bloom.



By noon, I was ready to leave and head over to Hillman Marsh shorebird cell.  Yesterday was a good day there, but of course today was not quite as good.  There were lots of shorebirds of the common kind and they kept leaving the hour I was there!  Nothing new came in.  The White-rumped Sandpiper was still present from yesterday and about 20 Short-billed Dowitchers were nice to watch.



On the way home, I stopped at Wheatley Harbour (beach) and there were lots of shorebirds scurrying along the the shoreline.



While there, a flock of about 30 Whimbrel circled about then headed on east.  I think this was the flock I saw flying while I was on Mersea Rd. 21 about ten minutes earlier.



Shorebirds included a large number of Dunlin and Ruddy Turnstones.



Some Least and Semipalmated Sandpipers were mixed in as well.



Two or three Sanderling were among them.


Some gulls were on the beach as well.

Lesser Black-backed


Sunday will see some rain, but at least there will be a southerly wind, so perhaps some new birds will arrive.


No comments:

Post a Comment