Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Midweek Birding at Rondeau Park

Today, Wednesday, looked like a good day to take off and go birding. The weather was nice and I had a good feeling that there would be lots of birds to see.
I started at Rondeau's south point trail and it was a busy morning looking at birds.  Along there and the south end of Harrison Trail, it took me almost 4 hours to sort through the birds.  There were lots on hand!

Northern Parula

Magnolia Warbler


One of the birds early on was a Cerulean Warbler.  It was too early (!) in the morning for good light for a photo though.
It was evident that Tennessee Warblers were high in number today, as were Cape May Warblers.  It has been a good spring for Cape May Warblers, as some years we do not seem to come across many.

girl Cape May


I started out alone, but later received a message that a Yellow-breasted Chat was being seen.  I was not far along the trail so I back-tracked to meet Steve Charbonneau who was on the bird.  The Chat had moved farther back in, but was still quite visible.  "Ernie" also got to see the bird!
It is one bird that is rather scarce anymore.



It was good birding as we moved along slowly, looking at many birds.  Steve and I started to head up Harrison Trail when I heard the familiar song of a Cerulean Warbler.  It ended up being right in front of us for good views.






After almost four hours, we then headed up to tulip tree trail.  The Prothonotary Warblers were active--too active to get a good photo.  There were two males and one female.



Later on in the afternoon I went back to south point trail.  I headed out to the beach, as this time of year there are usually lots of gulls, terns and shorebirds.  There were many gulls and terns, and some shorebirds along the edge.




I also got another look at a Cerulean Warbler.  No idea if it was a third one for the day or not.

(not the subject bird)


It was a good day for migrants.  Several species were here at home as well.



Looking forward to the weekend which remarkably, may have good weather!



No comments:

Post a Comment