Friday, January 15, 2016

Owls from the Past

Owl post from a few years ago (with some modifications):

When I first started birding we used to go out on winter outings and owls were always part of the trip.  One time we came across an injured Short-eared Owl on Pretty Road.  I think it was the first time I had ever seen one.  It was taken to a rehab somewhere.  This was back in the 1980's.

Brad Martin holding a Short-eared

Once in a while you luck on to Short-eared Owls, as was the case a couple of winters ago NE of Wallaceburg.  I was heading up to a spot to look for Long-eared Owls, but I caught sight of one on a fencepost beside the road at two in the afternoon!  Turns out there were around a dozen there and they stayed for several weeks.  That pasture disappeared that following spring!

The Long-eared usually roost in pine trees, but not always.  I found some NE of Wallaceburg one winter.


We have Eastern Screech-Owls here in Wallaceburg.  They have always been here and I remember them when I was about two or three years old.  No kidding!  They roosted on the fence-posts at dusk in the backyard.  I still hear some occasionally, especially in the summer.  Sometimes, the young ones will roost in the backyard cedars.  I haven't seen young ones in a  couple of years, but here is a photo of a family.

It was interesting to watch them at dusk as the parents fed them earthworms.

Once in a while it is nice to see a red morph Eastern Screech-owl.



There are other owls especially seen in the winter.  The only Boreal Owl I have seen was near Exeter one winter (on private property).


The Northern Saw-Whet Owl is a favourite of many.



Of course there all these Snowy Owls...




No comments:

Post a Comment