Monday, March 23, 2015

March Madness?




Yesterday I did quite a bit of driving around, but did not see too many birds.  It is still too frozen out there yet!.  I guess in the grand scheme of things, we have been spoiled the decade or so with milder weather in late winter (with the exception of last year).

Many rivers have cleared of ice, but some lakes are still frozen over.  The east branch of the Sydenham River finally broke up Saturday night, so we are all clear here!

Looking at my notes, I have seen Eastern Phoebe by this date many times, among other things.  Even this coming weekend the forecast looks waaaaay below normal.  No sense for those Phoebes coming back yet!

White-breasted Nuthatch from Sunday


There has been lots of waterfowl, but I don't know where they are going with many spots still frozen.  Two years ago on this date, we found an impressive 44 Greater White-fronted Geese at Hillman Marsh--the highest number I have ever seen at once.  Several Snow Geese were also present.




I ended up at Pinery yesterday, but actually saw fewer birds (if you discount the blackbirds and robins) than my visit a few weeks ago!
Some of the same birds were looking for handouts at P9.  I had nothing for them though.






Wednesday looks like the warmest day this week and perhaps there will be some movement of birds.  Then it is downhill with the temps yet again!  Brrrr!



2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Going to be 'mayhem' if the weather does not straighten out, especially on weekends!

      Delete