Sunday, August 3, 2014

Shorebirds, Swallows, Spinylegs, Scenes

Shorebird migration is in full swing, so I headed to Blenheim S.T.P. this morning.  Lots of birds were in! Nothing in the rare department, but it was fun to sort through the selection of close to 300 birds.




Pectoral Sandpipers were high in number, and needless to say, Semipalmated Sandpipers were the most numerous.  Three Stilt Sandpipers, 3 Short-billed Dowitchers, a Solitary Sandpiper and a Wilson's Snipe were also present among both yellowlegs and Least Sandpipers.




I was looking for a Baird's, since we do not see them in spring migration around here.  Maybe next week! Something rarer would be better....  I would have settled for an Avocet, of which there is currently one at the landfill nearby (or there was yesterday).



I went in to Rondeau Park for a while, but it was very quiet for birds today.  Practically nothing was moving on the lake today either.
However, swallows were in big numbers, especially Bank and Rough-winged.


Purple Martins




I met Keith and Jim who had walked out south beach.  Glad they did that long walk to save me the trip. They saw virtually nothing!
The only migrant type warbler was a Northern Waterthrush.

Even butterflies were scarce.  Some Red-spotted Purples were out today.





I have been seeing plenty of White-striped Black moths lately.  Here is one of these tiny creatures behind maintenance.



I was actually home by noon, so I headed north of Wallaceburg.  Did not get much there either, but I saw several Flag-tailed Spinylegs at McKeough.  Managed to finally get a good photo.



I wanted to walk through the prairie planting at Nicholls Memorial property at Wilkesport.  Spiked Blazing Star is out as well as other plants.  Here are some scenes.

Ironweed


Spiked or Dense Blazing Star


Culvers Root

Stiff-leaved Goldenrod 

Compass Plant
Vervain





No comments:

Post a Comment